Cedar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
I notice M*******e are advertising some clearance items made from Canadian cedar NOT english wide grain cedar.

Which is the most suitable for beehives?

The width of the grain depends on where the tree's are grown,and the age of the tree's, UK grown can have just the same tight grain as Canadian,and tuther way round....it all originates from the same place after all....best thing would be to go and have a look.
Regards durability,no difference at all from the studys carried out.

Last edited:
You don't want wide grain timber. It has grown too quickly. Closer grain means it has been grown in a colder climate. That's why oaks (Quercus Robur) from northern Europe are better than French oaks of the same species. Be careful with Cedar, as with oak, as there are many species. Western Red Cedar is what you want and most hive making companies use this species. Not all though. Some declare that they have used Redwood, which is an animal of a totally different sort and really not suitable.

Some declare that they have used Redwood, which is an animal of a totally different sort and really not suitable.

Yes...i agree...they may as well just say pine,unless of course they are using sequoia/wellingtonia species....which is also redwood, and athough quite soft is very durable.

A man after mny own heart (wood). I just looked in my btimber encyclopaedia (sad git) and Western Red Cedar is Thuja plicata and so slightly removed from the true cedars, but that's the kiddy.

I notice M*******e are advertising some clearance items made from Canadian cedar NOT english wide grain cedar.

Which is the most suitable for beehives?

You will have no problem with Canadian WRC and both Canadian and UK WRC are equally as good for hives.

It is considered that Canadian WRC is a stronger cedar and has greater abrasion resistance to UK WRC this is mainly to the closer grain and the tree growing slower in a colder environment.

As far as durability to the good old British weather perhaps not a lot in it both will last equally well.

Canadian WRC does have a wider colour range and can be from dark brown to light pink

I bought a number of supers from them in their sale. All are Canadian WRC. Most are dark brown in colour although there is considerable colour variation/gradiaent even within a single piece.
Apart from a few crushed edges, they were seconds after all, there were no other problems. The two that were most severly damaged, I repaired with a little cut and shut.
Now going to check their website to see what's on offer...

Latest posts

Back