Cedar and jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 completely unrelated questions, but didn't seem worthing starting a thread for each-
A) What species would count as cedar (as in cedar hive), eg is western red cedar ie Thuya plicata what is being talked about? What about actual cedar- same properties?
B) Bought a box of jars from bottlesandjars.co.uk (incidentally, nice jars and excellent service)-do I need to wash them, or are new jars food ready?

Cheers

Tim :)

Jars come 'looking' clean - but yes - wash in v hot water, drain then put on a tray in the oven - about 160d till absolutely dry. Use when cooled. What did you pay for box of 72

Jars come 'looking' clean - but yes - wash in v hot water, drain then put on a tray in the oven - about 160d till absolutely dry. Use when cooled. What did you pay for box of 72

Thanks Heather

84 no 12 oz hex =£17.04
100 x63 mm lids £8.11
Carriage £11.75

Total £36.90
Of course the carriage would have worked out better if I'd bought more.

:cheers2: I got 40 boxes of 72 1lb jars and lids for £20 - bulk bought for the Assoc to get good price. Still some left....

how many you got going spare?? :D

I need at least a couple of boxes straight away, but was thinking about vastly overbuying as I have plenty of storage space.

A couple of the other local chaps may also want some...

I travel a lot with work!

sending PM

Re Cedar --beehives are made from WESTERN RED CEDAR which is native to N America - mainly Canada.It is very durable and rot proof.The other readily available form of Cedar is CEDAR of LEBANON which is used in cabinet making to line drawers to repel moths.It has a very strong sweet smell is denser than W.R.Cedar and heavier.It is not so durable and I suspect would repel bees also-probably good anti varroa tho'.

Thanks JohnA and Justme. I wood bloke I met said he could sort me out for cedar: but I'm pretty sureit's not the right stuff.

Cheers :)

Latest posts

Back