Cecropia queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony350i

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi,

has anyone used or is using Cecropia queens in there hives.

Tony

Hi tony350i,

I think you'll find that there are not that many beeks that have imported the Greek bee.
The Greek bee A.m. cecropia is reported to have a decent temperament and non swarmy. I think these bees are compared with the Carniolan bees for there are many characteristics in both bees that are similar.

Do you import your queens?
How do they fare in the UK climate?

Regards;

Hi all

Tony one of the largest queen importers does Ceropia-crosses(BICKERSTAFFS) PROVIDED YOU GET WHAT YOU ORDER AND THEY ARE IN GOOD CONDITION they do just fine.

But I do know of several who have had issues.

Regards Ian

Bickerstaffes sell them,also buckfast cross cecropia.They come from west and south of greece,as Bcrazy says they are similar to carnica,but with heavy use of propolis.but to answer the question i have not tried any or know anyone who has had the pure cecropia just the crosses. perhaps get some and see. obviously posting same time as Ian.

Last edited:
Do you import your queens?
How do they fare in the UK climate?

fare very well, but when out crossed a little unpredictable but this is no fault off the queen breeder as his queens have been nice to work untill i raise my own and they mix with the rubbish around me.

----------------------

Tony one of the largest queen importers does Ceropia-crosses(BICKERSTAFFS) PROVIDED YOU GET WHAT YOU ORDER AND THEY ARE IN GOOD CONDITION they do just fine.

But I do know of several who have had issues.

Regards Ian

Ive used Bickerstaffs Ceropia-crosses before but some time ago and have found them to be OK but not as good as the other queens Ive had and they were stubborn to regress so i re queened them.
-------------------------------------------

Hivemaker.

it looks like i will have to go to Bickerstaffs if i want a Ceropia bee, i really need to do some thing and get some consistency with the temperament off my bees.

------------------

Thanks for the link Finman

Last edited:
well not long got of the phone and booked 5 Cecopia queens for one apiary site for next year and look forward to see how they perform.

Tony

Hope you do well with them Tony, hope we get some decent weather as well.

hi,

Ive had a bit of a look but can't seem to find much to read about Apis mellifera cecropia bees, i think the Greek bee keepers are hiding a good bee there and don't won't us to find out. :)

Tony

Here is a bit of info about them,and macedonica.

Apis mellifera Cecropia - Macedonica *
Cecropia (west and south Greece) and Macedonica (east and north Greece) bee are the Greek
bee races. Cecropia bee closely resembles A. m. Carnica in general appearance. Queens and
drones are dark. The breeding of brood starts early in the spring and makes big colonies.
Swarming tendency is high .Like Caucasia, Cecropia bees are notorious for their heavy use of
propolis, at the hive entrance and inside the hive so they create problems to the handling
of the combs. Honey cells are wet capped, i.e. there is no air space between the honey and
the capping, and this may lead to "weeping" of the comb. She produces a lot of honey
especially in early spring honey flows. The difference between Macedonica and Cecropia is
that Macedonica is gentler as it is one of the nearest relatives of the Carniolan bees.The Cecropia is ideal for use in breeding, passing on high fecundity without bad temper.

i think its a bit unfair asking one queen breeder about another breeders queens, but if i can't find much to read up on i might well do:)

good advice would be beekeepers that are using cecropia and have been for a couple of years or so, but they seem a bit scarce.

Here is a bit of info about them,and macedonica.

The Cecropia is ideal for use in breeding, passing on high fecundity without bad temper.

Are they referring to the drone side or the queen.

Thanks Hivemaker.

I would guess both Tony,they also sell buckfast cross cecropia,as you know i'm sure if you have been speaking with Bruce.

i think its a bit unfair asking one queen breeder about another breeders queens

I thought Norton may of sold them as well in the past?

I sure would not ask another breeder to comment on other breeders stock.

yes i have,

Bruce said that the cecropia is a popular bee that they use over there, and i was thinking i would might have better luck with a bee that was not already crossed and see how it goes.

I agree with that Tony,to get the pure strain,hopefully. They will soon end up crossed with something else over here in time. But if you like the strain and by crossing over here they turn too aggressive, then its not the end of the world,or too expensive to just buy new queens as required from same place.

I thought Norton may of sold them as well in the past?

I sure would not ask another breeder to comment on other breeders stock.

that's cool :iagree: i no you wasn't in plying that.

Have you allready tried the pure carniolans.

no i haven't, does mike sell them

Back