CCD - interesting article

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarealdus

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
There is an article in the Independent today that is about CCD and cites a parasitic fly hitherto unknown to parasitise honey bees as a cause for concern regarding CCD. It also points to an more scientific article in PLOS journal. I am unable to post the link as this is my first post and the rules preclude it but if you search the Independent online for CCD then you should find it.

and this is the original article:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0029639

Interesting, perhaps related to the mass movement of honey bees in the US, and certainly not a nice organism or one that you would want in areas where it has not so far been found. Is it related to CCD? - possibly, I suppose is the only answer so far! As if honey bees didn't have enough to cope with with Varroa!

Best wishes,

Tom

And from BEE L..

Message from Joe Derisi on Media craziness: phorids and bees

It looks like the media has really run with the whole zombie-bee phorid thing. Charles and I are authors on that paper, but I want you to know that we do not agree with the statements being made in the press and by others, claiming that phorids are even remotely responsible for colony collapse.

You may hear from your stakeholders that are listening to the popular press today. The media is way over-hyping this story.

And a reply......

I think this is to cover up this other more important paper

Multiple Routes of Pesticide Exposure for Honey Bees Living Near
Agricultural Fields

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetc...icleURI=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0029268

And from BEE L..

And a reply......

Agricultural Fields

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetc...icleURI=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0029268

That article does give cause for serious concern, especially as it is possibly suggesting that these neonicotinoid substances are not being broken down in the soil. Possibly coming through in subsequent crops to cause beekeepers problems.

The phorid fly even without any problems it may cause. The thing acts as a vector for Dwv & ceranae. Yet another source of more stress, tin hats on girls.

And a reply......

Agricultural Fields

Does that mean that you really think that scientific journal publishers time their bee papers to deflect attention from work that gives a message they don't agree with? Or are you just pointing out the paranoia that exists out there, even on Bee-L, just for effect?

G.

Hi Gavin
does not mean anything about what i think,just passing on the message of what someone on BEE L obviously thinks.

Thanks Pete. Shant tell you what I really think either. ;)

Does that mean that you really think that scientific journal publishers time their bee papers to deflect attention from work that gives a message they don't agree with? Or are you just pointing out the paranoia that exists out there, even on Bee-L, just for effect?

G.

If anything I would think it is the other way round.

Latest posts

Back