Quantcast

Cause of CCD (Colony collapse disorder).

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

What do you think the reason for CCD is ?

• Virus

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Mites

• Pesticides

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • Fungi

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other

• Total voters

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
What do you think is the main cause of Colony collapse disorder ?

gandalfwhitewizard 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Admin,
I have been out to a call today to 2 wild colonies in the same location. One of the colonies has been there apparently for years according to the person who called me. He says that the land surrounding their buildings about 60 acres has been left untouched from farming for that past 30 years or so until recently when it was sold and now has been cleared and cultivated. So no sprays have been used around the colony.
The prime colony is situated in a willow tree trunk and swarms every year. It makes me think that perhaps there is a link to crop spraying and colonies surviving?? I forgot to mention that protruding out of the willow is brace comb!
I will be going back tomorrow to remove the one colony from a wooden building, which appears to be sandwiched in the cavity. As for the willow tree colony any suggestions welcome on the best way to remove and save the colony as it would appear they seem to be resistant to varroa if they have managed year on year.
I will post some photos when i go back to give an idea of how big the colony is from the building once i have managed to expose it.

mark s 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
imho for wot its worth im coming down on the side of pesticides

Last edited:

jimbeekeeper 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The prime colony is situated in a willow tree trunk and swarms every year. .

As for the willow tree colony any suggestions welcome on the best way to remove and save the colony as it would appear they seem to be resistant to varroa if they have managed year on year.
Although I am a sceptic of CCD ( it really is just a "cover all title"), the above situation is very readily seen, and the link below is my example, and also a way to remove them.

As for varroa free, etc, and has the colony been there all the time? Given that they swarm every year is it realy the same colony?

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1380&highlight=cavity+wall

Also earlier this year, I had one hive that on next inspection was empty, was it CCD? Possibly!

Was it a mystery why they went, pesticides or aliens? No, more likely poor weather and lack of food forcing them (in their mind) onto pastures new.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1890

Last edited:

Latest posts