'Cause I like Bumbles too.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nellie

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Actually, can't claim responsibility for these, the OH was supposed to be taking some pics of me doing an inspection and I found these lurking in the middle of the "shoot". These are on the Brambles that ring my hives, if there's a BumbleBee shortage, it's not round this neck of the woods, Bristol is full of them and the BeeNP is moving in to complain!

Click on the photos for a larger image.

I lived for my first 35 years right on the edge of the fens, and I've lived in a smallish town in Staffordshire, since 1980.

I've been interested in bee's since I was about six, thanks to my late Uncle Sylvester.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I cannot remember a year when I've seen as many bumbles as I have this year.

It seems to me that, just as the fortunes of the honey bee are tending to go down, the bumbles are on the rise.

John

Lovely photo's nellie! I have many bumble bees in my garden this year, many different types of bees and I mean to find the time to identify some!

At first i thought I must have a nest near by but I think there are just so many of them, even trying to get into my hive yesterday!

Good here too. I even have a nest in an old apple tree that I cut down when I moved in to the house.
So I get to stare at honey bees and bumbles.

Way cool.

I have loads of Bumble in our Garden (North London). Our neighbour has them nesting in a bird box.

Whats the beautiful flower they're on? I dont recognise it.....(the lilac one, not the brambles!)

Down here too. Absolutely loads of them in our garden, of all different types. Until we gopt our hives, they were all we would see: not a honeybee in sight. Even now, they're outnumbered by the bumbles. A few weeks ago I was walking past a blossoming plum tree and it was covered in literally hundreds of them. Sounded like someone was mowing their lawn!

I must like bumbles too:).
I went to water my tomatoes yesterday and found a large white tailed bumble swimming around in watering can :(.(I leave it in the green house to warm the water up).
I fished her out, placed her on a warm surface to dry out, gave her a drop of honey which she tucked into straightway :). After 10/15 mins, she made a full recovery and winged away into the blue yonder .
Tough little bu**ers these bumbles.

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back