caught the swarm....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstrom

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
but there were still alot of bees up in the tree again. did the queen get away do you think?
(its my neighbors bees who swarmed into the apple tree the day after he left on holiday)

If you have the queen see if the bees are clustering in the box around her. The queen's smell will still be on that part of the tree where they settled so will attract bees for a few hours afterwards. They should eventually find the smell of the swarm if you have the queen or should return home.
I had a small swarm of bees that jumped out of the box I gave them and went up a tree. After a few hours and a bit of drizzle they obviously changed their mind and went back in. I suppose being all female that can be expected!

oh good so all might not be lost, i guess i will see for sure in the morning, if they are in the box or back in the tree!!! thanks

When collecting swarms from trees or bushes I wait till I am sure the queen is in my swarm collection box as indicated by lots of faning on the box to attract the flying bees and then give the branch / area where the swarm had been a liberal treatment with my smoker to make it a lot less attractive to any returning bees.
This seems to work for me, any returning bees are discouraged from landing / re-grouping there and circle down to ground level where they find the swarm box with their colleagues fanning like crazy!

Latest posts

Back