Catching the Rays

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Like Marks post, i went up to the hives at around 10.30am, i think it was only 6-8 degrees then, but the sun was on the fronts of the hives, took a moment to snap a couple with my phone.

Its good to see them moving about again. Though not as many fliers as you Mark, must be that isle of wight air !!.

Here in sunny Sussex (though pos snow again Thursday) all hives flying and about 50 sunning on the front of one- so heartening to see.
But my poor windows!!:ack2: That's the drawback of having hives in your own garden!!

Can you get a photo Heather ? i think we all need stirring up a bit, its great to see them out.

Yes out in force today,nice for them in the sunshine,many returning loaded up with pollen.

Been to check on all ours today and they are definately enjoying the sun!

A really nice sight after all the snow with the chickens laying us more eggs feels like we have turned the corner.

Hmm its obviously warming up a little down south, I have not seen a live one since last year!! Gave them a gentle tap the other day though and got a gentle purr out of them so they are still there?? Its hard not to crack it all open and have a look, but i have resisted. Have this overwhelming urge to feed them though, think it must be my paternal nature.

Be strong :rolleyes:

Know how you feel - but the bees are more important than your curiosity. We are back to more rain and pos snow Thursday - so not so far ahead. I was from Stockpost area so know the weather - yep- rain warmer down here :)

Hivemaker- what's the pollen from??

The bee's near the local town are collecting several different coloured pollens,so no idea what flowers these are from,but the one's out in the countryside are collecting from gorse i suspect,masses of it in flower,also lots of hazel catkins around.

i checked 5 hives on two sites yesterday, one was out in force, yet the 4 on the other site was not out ! and the hens are now laying, humm i can smell spring in the air, just want for the tree's to awake.

TB

Hi -
Just joined (I'm a new beekeeper) and was slightly panicking about my bees today, so was very relieved to see this conversation!

I only took delivery of my first colony (a very small 'accidental' swarm) last April and then added a larger more dynamic one in July. They're both outside my kitchen window and I was pretty surprised to see the smaller one in pretty full flow yesterday with many bees flying in and out and clustered outside. I'd kind of expected them to be keeping their heads down for another month or so, so I'm grateful for this discussion here which convinces me that they're not starving, swarming or otherwise in peril! :)

Hi Steve,welcome to the forum and glad we could help.
Have you given a little lift to check they still have some stores as they wont have anything coming in for another couple of weeks yet.

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, one particularly feels a little light. I put some fondant icing sugar in in early December (this is the smaller colony with an older queen that I'm a little concerned about). I checked it a couple of days ago, ready to put some more in, but they haven't taken much of it. I put it above the crown board though, and from reading here perhaps I should have put it directly above the frames.

Everything's pretty well glued together now though, so if they've sealed all the nooks and crannies up perhaps it's better not to crack it all open and cause possible drafts?

If they have taken some- they know it is there. If not too cold they will come up to it to use, if they want.to let them decide, till the sun shines a little more.

Strange how hives vary in behaviour. Mine all had same care- ( and I am so fortunate to be able to sit in lounge and watch 5 hives closely) and 1 has been munching quite a bit (excessive debris under ) and fly out on the slightest chance when others stay quiet. Come the sunshine this restless hive bust out - the ground/hive splattered with telltale brown dots,:ack2: whilst the others took it gently, with less physical signs ...

I reckon this one hive full of teenagers!!!

Latest posts

Back