Catching a Swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gscot

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My hive swarmed when on holiday about 4 weeks ago. Have just found the location of the swarm its in a side wall of a building Was thinking of trying to collect the swarm .Its near to public and buildings “Could this go very wrong perhaps?”My first time doing this and would take any advice.If i manage to catch the swarm and queen would i be able to hive within 2 miles

How do you know its your swarm? Never caught one myself but experienced beeks will advise you soon.

First of all, can you remove enough wall to gain full access to the colony? If not you aren't very likely to get them out with the Queen, (almost impossible really).

Chris

I have pemission to remove facia,s next to the hole the bees are using.Its a very large swarm.Prime swarm from my hive which was bursting with bees.

And two miles will likely be a headache too. Even blocking the hole and spraying to destroy scent will still likely get loads of foragers heading back there and getting progressively grumpier.

Has your queen got mated in the hive which swarmed?

The queen was from my original hive .The swarm went with the old queen.My hive made queen cells and developed a new queen which is doing well.

Latest posts

Back