Caster sugar/ Granulated sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
i just arrived back from getting 11 x 25kg bags of sugar for feeding to the bees.
I am now discovered that i was given castor sugar instead of normal granulated sugar. Is there any difference in them other than one is ground down finer than the other.
Keith

Only the price!

BTW, It is not ground down. Just grown smaller!

Regards, RAB

:iagree:

Did a similar think myself last year. Picked up 6 bags 2 of which were castor sugar. In Bookers just a lighter blue lettering. Did not realise and the lady scanned them through as 6 bags of granulated. The price is about £1 difference between the 2.

The problem with caster sugar is you've got to take the little casters off.
Seriously, its fine, mixes faster than granulated

granulated is a lot finer than it used to be

Yes, I think I remember those cubes about 1/2 inch each way, too; even they are smaller these days!

The process of growing the crystals smaller is a cost saving on the part of the refiner.

Regards, RAB

i just arrived back from getting 11 x 25kg bags of sugar for feeding to the bees.
I am now discovered that i was given castor sugar instead of normal granulated sugar. Is there any difference in them other than one is ground down finer than the other.
Keith

Sorry I dont think so.

If you check the packets of your castor sugar it has an additive an anti caking agent.

Although I dont know the scientific facts but this additive is in certain circles considered a bit of a no no dusting the bees and that is low dosage. I think to include it in high concentration on winter feed almost certainly not good.

Sorry but perhaps the best thing for your bees other than honey is pure cane sugar and nothing added.

Tom,

Caster, not icing sugar.

Same stuff as granulated but smaller crystals - used in baking and on donuts and fings like that.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
Tom,

Castor, not icing sugar.

Same stuff as granulated but smaller crystals - used in baking and on donuts and fings like that.

Regards, RAB

what a donut I am Rab

Obviously dont do a lot of baking in my world thanks for putting me right.

Latest posts

Back