Castellations for Langstroth?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris B

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Have any Langstroth users out there used castellations in the supers? If so does anybody supply them or is it a case of cutting down a National castellation?

To complicate things some of my supers are poly so castellations might not fix on so securely as on a wooden box. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Chris

My suggestion is 'don't use them'.

I tried, and discarded, them a long time ago.

The simple fact that the frames can not be moved sideways was enough to discourage me from their use. Ymmv.

Regards, RAB

My suggestion is 'don't use them'.

I tried, and discarded, them a long time ago.

The simple fact that the frames can not be moved sideways was enough to discourage me from their use. Ymmv.

Regards, RAB

I don't think that was the question, an opinion on the use of castellations wasn't asked for............

Polyanwood uses poly Langstroth, but I couldn't say if she uses castellations.
Send her a pm and ask.

Frisbee

Just looked in the Thorne's catalogue, they only do castellations for National and WBC.

The Kent lot...........Gandalf and Widdershins also use Langstroth, but wood this time, again I couldn't say about the supers.

Frisbee

I use them in my supers,but these are nationals and many have a curf cut for the spacer to simply sit in,not seen poly supers so don't know if they have this or not,but would be easy enough to make one i would think,and most likely better than trying to fix them to the sides.

If you have to stick them, Screwfix product 34168 is probably the one for you. Ask a friend to pick one up for you if that would be more convenient. It will fix that broken box too.

I believe that the castellations are hive agnostic and will require a trim to fit. Is that about 16p a pair for plastic? Length 428mm from Thornes.

Suitable for delicate fingers:) :)

What is castellation? system which keep frames in its site?

What oliver says is important that you must move frames sideways that you get resin glue loosen.

Our super beekeeper 3000 hives, sels however castellations which make 10 frame box in super for 9 frames.

I have never seen castellations used in Poly supers and personally detest the things near as much as I detest plastic spacers.

Just use decent frames and all is so much easier. KISS.

PH

Hello Chris,
We use castellated spacers in our 3/4 depth supers. They take 9 frames and are made here. If you are interested I can ask for a pricing.
At one time we used 8 frame spacers, I liked this method best, but stopped it because our automatic uncapper would not be made to open the knives enough and we were getting too much wax and honey removed during the uncapping process so we went back to 9's. The 8 frame spacers we got from Thomas in France. As we use manual uncapping for our hives in Greece I am thinking of going back to 8 framers for our hives there.
You might also like to see if you can get them from the good old USA - there are many suppliers of Stoller Frame Spacers (Google it) and this one in particlar looks like the price is right:
http://www.millerbeesupply.com/Page18.htm
The Cypriot ones are more expensive!
Best regards
Norton.

Thanks everyone. Some good info. here. and I'll follow the leads.

My motivation for switching? I'm using the Swienty deep poly for brood and super at the moment. This gives me a number of problems (a) the weight of a full one is not fun (b) not easy to clear with a blower at remote sites (c) the cappings are too close to the wood for my chain uncapper so we get a lot of damage to hoffman frames if we set it to uncap too close - hence wider spacing with castellations sounds attractive.

Chris

Latest posts

Back