Castellated frame spacers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggravated

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What are the advantages/ differences between castellated frame spacers and other types of spacers
thanks

The simple difference is that castellations are fitted to the hive and the rest are on the frames (either permanently or temporarily). Castellations are not very clever for brood boxes.

Advantages and disadvantages are numerous and rather depends on the beekeeper's preferences and modus operandi.

For a start any one castellation strip has fixed spacing, so may not be appropriate for some situations (getting a box of foundation drawn per eg).

For the cost of a pair or two, it is likely worth getting some and see for yourself. Not a lot of point if using Hoffman or Manley self spacing frames and they have no use for those that don't use Q/Es all the time.

I have some but they have been consigned to the box of assorted unused bits, in the garage, as I don't like them. Some use them universally.

castellations should have no place in a brood box, for many reasons.
castellations in supers? now that's a different matter! I use 10 slot castellations in my supers, for use when frames are drawn. easy, reliable spacing, and the frames don't move when you are swinging the supers about lifting them off and on during inspections.
I use a couple of supers with just frame rails when getting frames drawn out, as I can get 12 frames in then, with narrower spacings, which 'should' help the bees draw them evenly.

Latest posts

Back