Cast Swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

Hi

Having had my hive swarm early this year and also had a cast swarm I did manage to catch the cast swarm and they are doing well my question is can I at this early stage reunite the cast back into the large hive or is it best not to. I know at the moment things are ok but I only really have space for one hive

I'm sure someone would make you an offer if you mentioned it in the bees for sale section, assuming it now has a laying queen.

Thanks for the replies it’s a difficult one regarding the Queen what looks the best now may not be the best in the long run I am going to let things stay as it is for now and am thinking I will move the cast on later

It is tempting but two hives can become four and so on I do consider myself a novice at this and think I will better build up my experience with one hive and spare hive? Also I keep my hive on my allotment site and although all my fellow a allotment neighbours are keen on the bees one hive is plenty

I think you should keep the bees. If you have problems with the queen in that hive like I have with mine at the moment at least you can get eggs/brood from the other. I started with one hive and now know it was a mistake. The swarm you have are free what have you got to lose? :cheers2:

The spare hive is for situations like now. Keep two colonies going, one as an insurance and then unite if wanted later in the year. Keeping one is too risky as I found out to my cost.

Thanks its all good sound advice I realise that only one hive can be a problem I will keep the other hive for now and when it starts to get to big I will make the decision

Latest posts

Back