Cast in a nest box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandysman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3+
I am going to look at what I think is a cast that has taken up residence in a friends nest box a few miles from me this evening. From what he says its been there about three weeks as he says he can see that they are building comb.
If indeed they are honey bees, has anyone any experience of getting them out of a nest box now they are established?
Andy

I am going to look at what I think is a cast that has taken up residence in a friends nest box a few miles from me this evening. From what he says its been there about three weeks as he says he can see that they are building comb.
If indeed they are honey bees, has anyone any experience of getting them out of a nest box now they are established?
Andy
No experience but Imagine it is similar to any cut out. You will probably have to smoke them a little then mist them with sugar water, bang the bees into their new box....then cut comb out and hang any brood/eggs in frames with string or bands.
Not that I'm an expert but had to do this with my bait hive recently and did a cut out last year.
Most nest boxes have a back door if you are worried about access. Probably bumbles though if it is a small nest box?

P.S when I recently did this with my bait hive the comb was too small for 14x12 frames so I popped it into super frames and plan on moving them up to a super when the brood chamber is full.

Last edited:
Bumbles

Iv'e been called out this week regarding bees in the bird box, turned out they were indeed bumbles. After talking to a colleague he's been to half a dozen swarms in bird boxes all those were bumbles. !!!!!!!!!!!!very annoying

Dave W

Andy

I've got white-bumbed bumbles in a bird nesting box, so have several neighbours I've been called out to over the years. Let them be!

:iagree:
My wife was big and brave last week and investigated for me! A neighbour had thought honey bees whereas the 'owner' had realised they were bumble bees. Still, it is a good way to get to know neighbours better.

Google Tree Bee Bumble Bees - they are usually the culprits when it comes to bees in a bird box.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions. Checked it out, they are bumble bees.
A

Yep Tree Bumbles have moved loads these past few weeks to save them from being destroyed. Not a native bee but a very good pollenator.

Yep Tree Bumbles have moved loads these past few weeks to save them from being destroyed. Not a native bee but a very good pollenator.

due to the number of requests to move bumbe Bs I understand that the BBKA is looking to include Bumble Bs relocation in the BBKA third party insurance from next year

Latest posts

Back