Carniolan bees temper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolbz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I'm hoping to get my bees through my association who ensure that the bees they supply are of good temper before offering to members but unfortunately demand exceeds supply by some margin (not to mention an EFB movement restriction currently in place).

In the event that I can't get any from this route then I have my eye on a certain supplier of carniolan's but I've read some threads on this forum that suggests that the second generation can be incredibly aggressive.

Is this something that should put me off buying this breed? Or should I consider that the next generation is a little way off and they're supposed to be very good for the first gen. If they then turn into monsters then requeening is an option that turns around a colony pretty quickly isn't it?

Well, with a bit of luck, I'm about to get my second generation carnolians in a week or two. The first generation have been very good, if these turn out to be monsters, then I would happily re-queen with the same.

It is not the first or second generation that is typically the problem, providing that you are taking pure starting stock and they are mating with pure drones of the same type, which could only happen by II, or isolated mating.

It is the F1, first crosses (hybrids) that typically carry the agression.

So it's a time-costly wait-and-see and if they treat you with total stingy contempt start again. Bees, eh...

Or Keep going. The Brother Adam book says that the second crosses are much less aggressive.

Strange, i have used 40
years first generation queens. They are very good.
if the hive is angry, change the queen.

Carnolians have been a great success for me. I am requeening as queen made from last years colony too fiesty and following for the garden.Although they are still pussycats compared to the horror stories I read on this forum! They are also known for being swarmy so pay attention once you are off and running!

I think it could also make a big difference if your Carni queen comes from say Eastern europe,Greece or Hawaii ect.

My bees are all carniolan from eastern euro zone. They are very well behavied and not aggressive. Do swarm easy but part and parcel i guess just use good swarm conrtol keeps on top of them.

But i have only used these type of bees so iam limted to what i can say.

Aggressive Bees

I've got some Carniolan bees and they are really aggressive. I've been told from a local beekeeping friend that they are the worst he has seen.

He has advised to re-queen and I am looking for a gentler strain of bee. Would I be better to go for a Buckfast queen? I was also a bit reluctant to buy an imported queen as I was looking for something that was suited to our climate.

If anyone has any advice, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Geoff,a local queen if you can get one is always a good idea.

What area are you in ?

thanks for all the info. Seems like it would be ok getting them if that's my only option. Worst comes to the worst I can try and source a local queen if some nasty cross hybrid is created.

Once I bought from Slovakia carniolan bees and they were very aggressive and swarmy.

But however, carniolan bees are very behaving.

When you get queens or stocks, what ever race they are, they may be idiot or very easy to nurse.

beekeeping is all the time fighting agaist idiot bee stocks, diseases and swarms.

Inside races and stocks there are vast variation

Inside Italian race you will beet what ever.

And then you keep some hives and imaginen that soon you "have your own well known stock". And even mite resistant.

In true life queen mate with 16 different "local" drones, something F45 -generation.... just keep your eyes open if they are not swollen shut.

And guys encourage to rear your own queen, take swarm queens and what ever. That is very far from breeding.

I'm in Cambridgeshire. If anyoneknows where I can get some local queens,I'd be eternally greatful!

Latest posts

Back