Cargo straps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver90owner

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
No connection with the vendors apart from shopping there, but Lidls have sets of 4 lashing straps for eight quid a set. Fancy name for ratchet straps.

Last lot I got were Rolson or similar and were much cheaper but nowhere near as robust.

These look to be quite good value for fixing insulation in the winter and holding hive boxes together, either in situ or for transport.

I would recommend some tubing cover for the webbing as they do degrade in the light over the winter.

The only down-side is that the ratchet end webbing is a bit on the long side, but that is no real impediment.

I am off to get another couple sets before the stocks expire at my local outlet, as I usually finish up using my 5 tonne lorry straps when I want to move a hive or three.

Regards, RAB

How robust is the mechanism ? i am always wary of cheap straps after one gave way while moving a hive.

Give it a few tests and i hope you come back and prove me wrong. i need some new ones.

Grizzly,

Ratchets are much more robust than the really cheapo products. I have had failures with the ratchets on those; still have a couple that need pliers to keep the lugs in line.

I would always use three to transport live hives, unless I am using my lorry straps (2.5 tonne and 5 tonne versions). They are not designed to be over stressed; either the ratchet will give up or the webbing will be damaged. Better that the ratchet fails rather than the strap while in use. These actually have a rating tag on the strap (125 kg force, or 1250 N for the techhical members) and come with a destruction manual!.

I wouldn't be getting any more if I was not satisfied with the value for money aspect.

Regards, RAB

I'm thinking of the RatchetShop for a few.

Third item down looks suitable, might look at one of the top two to see how usable they are just for keeping hives together. The price probably doesn't compare with Lidl, but seems better than many.

Has anybody used this company and how do they rate any of the straps for their function at a good value?

I'm thinking of the RatchetShop for a few.

Third item down looks suitable, might look at one of the top two to see how usable they are just for keeping hives together. The price probably doesn't compare with Lidl, but seems better than many.

Has anybody used this company and how do they rate any of the straps for their function at a good value?

These look like the straps I use and have found to be very good. Just make sure the rachet is tight against the hive otherwise the banging whilst in transit will seriously upset the bees.

I have not used this company before, but look about half price to what I paid.

:)

Can't fault the price, but personally don't like the hooks, which I accept in some circumstances might be more than just useful.

You can always remove the hooks and turn them into a continuous strap:cheers2:

I'm sure a man of your calibre should be able to handle that task:cheers2:

Yours Roy

Back