Cardboard bee hive template

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herefordshirehoney

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
3 poly langstroths
Does anybody have a template of a bee hive they've done in word/pdf/excel etc so I can cut it out and use some tape to build a hive to practice artificial swarm?

Have you got any lego? If so, use that instead.

Good idea however no lego! Would be a great teaching tool goggling isnt bring up much.

What about using a cardboard box. Oh and if you used a slightly bigger one on top you could practice taking the roof on and off.

I'm really really sorry just couldn’t resist :icon_204-2:

lol I like the little mini one's you see on youtube that people have spent hours on :). Just was being lazy and seeing if someone had done a template.

oh got ya like the teaching ones in thorny place

Yup - but if you could give a printout of the template people could go make them at home =)

Just released the price there shame about postage otherwise id cheat and order one to use as a template, will wait till my next thorne's order.

Does anybody have a template of a bee hive they've done in word/pdf/excel etc so I can cut it out and use some tape to build a hive to practice artificial swarm?

you really don't need to train artificial swarm.

- you move a hive 10 feet away
- put in old site a new hive, where you put 2 frames of food, one brood frame + queen and the rest foundations.

- bees move themselves to the foundation hive.
- when bees start to draw foundations, they loose swarming fewer.

- after a week join those 2 hives if you are going to get honey yield.

Fully understand princles of it - just wanted a nice cardboard cutout template, think i'll settle with the thorne's one and may make some a4 template templates out of it at some stage so people can build there own if wanted.

To newbies like myself are scared of the word artficial swarm, so practice makes perfect =). In reality like you say its very simple its just following a set of instructions until they are embedded on your brain.

To newbies like myself are scared of the word artficial swarm, .

I surely understand. Idea is said so complex with their drawings that every guys, who has brains, is afraid what is going on.

Basic comands are

- move the hive
- put a new hive in old place.

What difficult is in that

... In reality like you say its very simple its just following a set of instructions until they are embedded on your brain.

The basic concept is ridiculously simple.
However, people do like to add 'improving' details. Different people, different details.

Some details are important, some are options.
For example, Finman's instruction "put in old site a new hive, where you put 2 frames of food, one brood frame + queen and the rest foundations" leaves out the important detail that you need to make sure that the frames you are moving into the hive full of foundation do NOT have any QCs on them.
Obvious to Finman.
But needs to be spelled out for learners.

- when bees start to draw foundations, they loose swarming fewer.

- after a week join those 2 hives if you are going to get honey yield.

Could you give some more detail about what you are doing in that (to me) unusually early recombine?
For example, when do you knock down the QCs in the queenless hive?

Our season is usually longer than the Finnish one, so we don't have to be so quick. The usual thing is to get a new laying queen established before terminating the old queen and recombining.

:yeahthat:
Too quick to replace the old queen. I am looking forward to Finman's explanation,

Last edited:
This isue has been discussed here numerous times. Only what we have not discussed is that does it need

and same guys

And some people can't always find the queen, I couldn't last year but I knew she was there.

This isue has been discussed here numerous times. Only what we have not discussed is that does it need

and same guys

Last time I asked for details on this early recombining you came up blank too.

FWIW I think the idea of the fake hive is awesome, but similar to a blow up lady, I think you'd have to be so pissed to give it a go you'd struggle to accomplish anything.

I read false swarm system from English beekeeping book, perhaps 35 years ago. I have used it that long.

When to join them, depends when flow start to come in.

I do not pick queen cells from brood part. They may reveal out who is a bosh.
10-20% try to make a small cast but it is not big problem to me.

I may explain everything and every detail, but it happens like in crystallized honey that " you shall get nothing without asking".
2-hive owners have allways better ideas, what I chould again to shoot down.
-

Latest posts

Back