Card readers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I sell most of my honey to regular customers ... most of the time for cash. I've found this year, because of Covid, that people seem to have less ready cash on them. It's not a problem, I always get paid but then I thought ... it would be that much easier if was able to offer card payment. The local kebab van down at the station even offers card payment and connects via his mobile phone. I know there will be a cost to taking payments by card but ... the upside is that the evidence is that people who shop and pay with cards are more likely to buy more ~ Let's face it ~ plastic money is not real is it ?

I've seen a few of the options on the internet but to be honest ... I'm none the wiser - it's a bit like mobile phone tariffs, not easy to make direct comparisons (and I'm a bit dim as well when it comes to things like this .._

So .. question .. does anyone use a mobile card reader, are there any disadvantages, any recommendations, costs, limitations .... anything that would point me in the right direction ?

I use one with my business from iZettle (now owned by PayPal). No idea how much it charges in comparison with other companies.

They send you out a reader that connects via bluetooth to an app on your phone. You input the amount in the app, and the card reader does the rest. Monies are then transferred to your bank in 2 to 3 days.

Only found a couple of issues - no signal doesn't help. If app isn't up to date, it won't work. When you turn on the reader, it does a security check, if it finds anything wrong, it closes down, and can't be reactivated. You need to order a new one. This happened to us once, for no apparent reason. But its a cool security feature, to stop people messing with them.

I have also been investigating getting an iZettle. It seems to be a good choice, on-offer ATM at £19. Fees, 1.75% per transanction.

I sell most of my honey to regular customers ... most of the time for cash. I've found this year, because of Covid, that people seem to have less ready cash on them. It's not a problem, I always get paid but then I thought ... it would be that much easier if was able to offer card payment. The local kebab van down at the station even offers card payment and connects via his mobile phone. I know there will be a cost to taking payments by card but ... the upside is that the evidence is that people who shop and pay with cards are more likely to buy more ~ Let's face it ~ plastic money is not real is it ?

I've seen a few of the options on the internet but to be honest ... I'm none the wiser - it's a bit like mobile phone tariffs, not easy to make direct comparisons (and I'm a bit dim as well when it comes to things like this .._

So .. question .. does anyone use a mobile card reader, are there any disadvantages, any recommendations, costs, limitations .... anything that would point me in the right direction ?
For my regulars I take payment by bank transfer. That has been new with covid and works really well for me with no costs involved? Might be an option worth considering?

In Londinium we use an izettle reader, no monthly fee,1.75% transaction fee.The money appears in your bank account within 3 days and you can use it to send the customer a receipt if they would like one.
You will need a smart phone
When we got ours it was free on a promotion,they seem to be about £30 just now.
Sum up is a little cheaper.
At Farmers markets sales are up by at least 30% compared to when we were cash only.
Definitely worthwhile,I am a bit of a Luddite and if I can get it work anybody can.
Good Luck

It looks very much as though the Izettle is the front runner at present. Seems to be fairly inexpensive and simple to operate. I may have to upgrade my old iphone though ....

I use Izzetle too, had an issue at one food festival where there was ample signal but still needed to get Wi-Fi because there were so many people the masts prioritize and the Izzetle only worked intermittently when there weren't thousands of people all checking up on the bee forum on their phones all at the same time

i use izettle for door sales , paypal family and friends for pre-orders and bank transfer for bulk to shops if a punter pays via normal paypal the deduction is quite high, i am going to have a lot of honey unsold this year as all my fete, school fairs, & christmas markets have been cancelled

Sum up...Square....Izettle there all pretty much the same online/phone it’s stripe. Square give the best detail and product/sale details. Avoid PayPal there barstewards!!!!

Reactions: mbc
The Inland Revenue will love people like you since you are willing to show them the volume of your sales. it would be very easy to tax you on every transaction.

The Inland Revenue will love people like you since you are willing to show them the volume of your sales. it would be very easy to tax you on every transaction.
I wish .... even with the good harvest this year the chances of doing anything much more than break even are remote ! Even then ... should my hobby ever develop to the point where I have made a decent profit you only pay income tax (or corporation tax if ever you get really serious) on your profit and I see little benefit in defrauding the tax man of his legitimate dues ...

I wish .... even with the good harvest this year the chances of doing anything much more than break even are remote ! Even then ... should my hobby ever develop to the point where I have made a decent profit you only pay income tax (or corporation tax if ever you get really serious) on your profit and I see little benefit in defrauding the tax man of his legitimate dues ...

I also do not make a profit from honey sales, since I have spent a lot on equipment to set against sales and do not defraud the taxman. I was merely pointing out to those who do make a profit from honey sales that they may attract the attention of more than honey buyers.

I also do not make a profit from honey sales, since I have spent a lot on equipment to set against sales and do not defraud the taxman. I was merely pointing out to those who do make a profit from honey sales that they may attract the attention of more than honey buyers.
I wasn't suggesting that you would avoid paying any tax that is due ... but, if people are playing the game and paying any tax due - then being visible in terms of your sales is not going to concern you.

To be perfectly honest ... if ever it comes on top I would warn anyone seeking to defraud the IR to be exceedingly careful as the IR have computer programs they plug into your sales and compare your stated costs which thow up any anomalies. They will know what your costs should be and they will relate that to your sales - if the figures you provide don't match their modelling .... they will come looking ... and they will keep digging until they are satisfied that they have you by the short and curlies ...

However, on the whole, they are not going to be particularly interested in a beekeeper with a few hives and making a few quid on the side ... they have much bigger fish to fry !

Someone I know owned a fish and chip shop - 100% cash sales ... he skimmed like mad but when the taxman came looking his costs were so far out of line with the sales he declared they tied him up in so many knots that he eventually had to admit he had been fiddling ... he was stuffed with a bill for £37,000 pounds back tax (they went back years) ... £17,000 penalty + interest on the tax he had not paid. He had to sell an awful lot of cod and chips to pay that lot back ...

Someone will have to pay for all Rishi's announcements. I've had an education and health service over the years so I don't begrudge the few pounds I will owe this year.

we use sum up at markets, seems to work ok with no issues. we use for phone orders also,
online sales are paypal or bank transfer.

I have also been investigating getting an iZettle. It seems to be a good choice, on-offer ATM at £19. Fees, 1.75% per transanction.
This is what i consult on, yes they are good, Paypal is not bad, but if you hold off over the next 12 months or so you will see more Pin on glass solutions launch i.e. contactless through your phone if Android with no separate unit. Square also do a good solution. It all depends on the volume of transactions you are doing.

Latest posts

Back