Captured Swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I managed to get a swarm from a nearby tree on Monday evening 20.30ish I plan to transfer into a hive but the weather not good at the moment, how long can I keep them in a poly nuc 6 frame. There are no frames in just empty nuc as this was all I could lay my hands on.

Where is the nuc? Is it on the hive or next to it? They will also have comb built in the nuc by now so I would open them and put frames of foundation in there, they well self settle through the bees. f they fit in a nuc, perhaps leave them build up and then transfer.

How long you can leave them really depends on how much space they need in the nuc. I'd agree with Steve about getting frames in there. If they draw wild comb (which they'll pretty much certainly be doing with the stores they carried in, even if they can't forage much) it will be a complete mess to sort out if you leave it too long. If the nuc is full to the gunwhales though, I'd transfer them now and be done with it.

James

Hi, I managed to get a swarm from a nearby tree on Monday evening 20.30ish I plan to transfer into a hive but the weather not good at the moment, how long can I keep them in a poly nuc 6 frame. There are no frames in just empty nuc as this was all I could lay my hands on.
Unless it's blowing a force 9 gale or teeming down I'd suggest you need to get on with it. The bees don't work to human timetables/convenience.😨

A few empty frames and elastic bands may be needed to transfer in the comb...

I had similar in a swarm trap that wasn't checked for a while. All worked out fine though after a bit of perseverance.

Back