Cappings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
The bees cap the larvea over with a wax covering.
The bees cap over the honey with a wax covering.

Question?

Is there any difference between the make up of these two cappings?:confused:

Regards;

Last edited:
Yes the capping over the larvae lets the air in but the capping over honey doesn't.

post by VEG
Yes the capping over the larvae lets the air in but the capping over honey doesn't.

So if they are different how are they different? and why are they different?
In which way or in what is different in the makeup of the cappings?

Regards;

Hi

"The bees cap the larvea over with a wax covering."

The capping over larvae is not wax(the larvae would suffocate) but I think a mix wax/cocoon/pollen

Regards Ian

Maurice,
next time you uncap drone brood, stick the cappings under that famous microscope of yours and lets see some pics:)

John

As i said the capping over the larvae is air permeable (so they can breath) and the capping over the honey is not air permeable (so it keeps the honey fresh) :)

I am not going to answer this.

How about some research here?

PH

No offence why bother posting " i am not going to answer this". If you feel like you dont want to contribute an answer dont. Just dont post any comment.

Some know the answers some dont. We all start at the beginning and learn as we go along.
Me if i know the answer i am happy to post it no matter how many times it is asked, after all if the question isnt asked it cant be answered.
:):)

Yes OK I think we have the general idea that the capping's are different for the reason already mentioned.
I have been trying to find out the difference between the two and the makeup of both, but as yet I have drawn a blank.
Will still keep trying nd thanks to those who have contributed to the post.

John, Good idea will do.

Regards;

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back