capping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
is it only me, or are other hives not capping their honey either??

even though the weather is not great (due to get a bit breezy this week!), the little darlings are still bringing in stores...

the only trouble is only about 10-15% of the frames are capped... :(

They are getting cunning? Think you won't take it if left uncapped? Or waiting for some more before popping the lid on? Or perhaps too busy with a dwindling population and foragers still collecting more nectar. Or expecting to use it?

I reckon they know more about the weather forecast than we do. They will cap it before winter slumber, so winter is not starting next week!

Regards, RAB

Bee's on heather,uncapped honey,heather nearly over,weather terrible,never known them cap it yet when not full.Never know,perhaps they will fill them with some lovely fast granulating ivy honey.

Last edited:
as long as THEY know what they are doing!! :)

likely to be because the late honey flow has come to an end. might be you'll get some more from ivy, but this often happens later in the year as the bee numbers begin to deline and the nectar flow stops. If you have a very strong hive at the end of the year it can be worth putting these 'almost' full frames in with them to get them to fill them but it doesn't always work.

The old beekeepers always said never extract frames unless almost completely capped as the honey isn't 'ripe' and could ferment. Not sure if this is true or not though....

I even FED heather honey on the heather to get sections capped... nope.

PH

Latest posts

Back