Capped QCs not full of royal jelly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonforeman

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
20210609_110615.jpg
20210609_110618.jpg

I had great success in getting all 20 grafts accepted that I did on Saturday, the only trouble is looking at them now they are capped some are not full of royal jelly.
Is it worth keeping them all or will I be making trouble for myself trying to mate some of these? If you zoom in on pics some you can clearly see have little

Advice needed please

View attachment 26608
View attachment 26609

I had great success in getting all 20 grafts accepted that I did on Saturday, the only trouble is looking at them now they are capped some are not full of royal jelly.
Is it worth keeping them all or will I be making trouble for myself trying to mate some of these? If you zoom in on pics some you can clearly see have little

Advice needed please

Keep them.
The fact that they still have RJ left in the cell shows that they didn't eat it all in the larval stage. In the pupal stage, they stop eating so they didn't need all they had been given and there was a surplus.
I have reared some excellent queens that ate all of their RJ as larvae.
Rearing is one part of it. The other part is the genetics. There is no telling what sort of queens they'll make unless you consider both parts.

Thanks B+ for the reply. I managed to graft for the first time last year and got 4 queens mated from the same mother (Peter Stofen Island mated). They were open mated and all 4 are going great guns and very calm. I am the absolute beginner but I am keeping detailed records and plan on rearing all my own queens going forward. Would you suggest at some point introducing new stock to stop inbreeding?

Back