Capped Drone Cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margob99

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is it common at this time of year to see lots of capped drone cells?

By "lots" I mean that today I saw at least a quarter of one side of a brood super frame in a brood-and-a-half national covered in capped drone brood; in fact there were 2 brood super frames like that in the one hive.

In all respects, the hive is looking queen-right ie lots of worker brood in all stages also present.

My question would be: Have they drawn large cells on the frames or are these drone brood in worker cells?

The queen will lay drone brood in drone cells if available - think drone cells for varroa control. If they are in worker cells that is a different matter.

Hive is queenright, but just potentially a drone laying queen.

Observe and remove her, if she is not superceded by the bees shortly and the problem persists. At least you are fairly safe with two colonies.

So the reply is; it might be but.......

Regards, RAB

Actually, it's just occurred to me that the foundation in the super frames might be drone cell sized ...

But, again, I do wonder if colonies in general still produce drones at this time of year, ie mid-summer?

Again, if space is given to draw drone brood under, say a short frame, the answer must be yes. Drones will be around all summer, from before the swarming season until they get kicked out in the autumn (or possibly earlier if forage is scarce). Colonies will not normally swarm until drone brood has hatched, so if swarming is a future possibility they likely will be making drones.

Often in small blocks of brood at the bottom extremities of frames, but not necessarily so.

Regards, RAB

Actually, it's just occurred to me that the foundation in the super frames might be drone cell sized ...

But, again, I do wonder if colonies in general still produce drones at this time of year, ie mid-summer?

did you buy drone foundation?

i just induce drone cells with a half frame like this

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/sbdronefr.html

or a standard frame in a 14x12 9 or super in a standard brood

Could you not just put in half a sheet of foundation, rather than make the frame like Dave-Cushman site ?

Latest posts

Back