capped cells ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stander

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
two
how long should it take to start capping cells from a new package of bee's ? in a week I have allmost 6 frames drawn from foundation but no cappings, saw the queen so i know she is alive.

yes little white eggs I also saw workers backing into the cells like they were laying eggs the hive has a strong yeast smell

3 days from egg to larvae
6 days from larva to capping

So, 9 days from the moment that the queen started laying.

the queen's eggs at on the bottom of the cell wheras workers eggs are on the side of the cell because they have shorter bodies than the queen

and Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the help everyone, I was a little worried with that and the strong yeast smell kinda worries me. hopfully all is well thanks again.

Errr....................NO

three days from egg laid to hatch and five to capped which by my maths and all the books is 8 days.

Me thinks someone needs some reading.

PH

Last edited:
If you have a strong yeast smell, is something starting to ferment, like uncapped honey maybe?

You are probably wright, alot of pollin and honey uncaped at the 7th day THANKS

Errr....................NO

three days from egg laid to hatch and five to capped which by my maths and all the books is 8 days.

Me thinks someone needs some reading.

PH

Googling shows a variation between 8 and 9 days , with 3 days agreed for egg stage, and 5.5 days for the larval stage.

Someone has been reading....

fermentation not likely to be enough to make it smell in a week, they have only just collected the stuff

it could be moldy syrup but you would notice the mold in the feeder ,i think it is more likely to be that sweet banana like smell they issue when alarmed and they are worried being opened at 7 days as they are not really settled, better to have left them alone . i know it is difficult, when you are new but i left this years swarms for 3 weeks before looking inside and a package bee hive is no different really to re housed a swarm

Googling shows a variation between 8 and 9 days , with 3 days agreed for egg stage, and 5.5 days for the larval stage.

Someone has been reading....

Quite 8 or 9, queens 15, 15.5 or 16, drones 10....need to be able to count up to three hands' worth in this sport ;)

Last time I was at our hives counting I was not really comfortable taking off my shoes and socks to get to 16...it was very painful!
;)
Sam

Latest posts

Back