Capped brood comb not sealed at the top

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeNice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 now
Here's one for the forum. I gave my hive a quick look over this afternoon to check for queen cells and saw what I saw a couple of weeks ago. I have capped comb which is filled to the top of the cells, I also have some capped comb that does not reach the top of the cells. There is an area of them not just one. One idea was that the cells where capped and the bees continued to build the cells on top. That's the only idea. I am doing a full check tomorrow at midday, I will have to pin one out and see what's going on. Sorry no photo.

When you say capped comb do you mean brood or honey? Or do you mean capped flush=brood or honey, sunken=pollen stores?

Capped brood, not flush with the top. I didn't go into the hive today. Will do tomorrow if the wind dies down. The capping doesn't look sunken but it's not to the top of the cell. Any ideas?
Steven

If brood is capped it is capped.

I suspect you looked at the honey arch over the brood nest and thought oops that is not looking the same as the brood?

Which it does not.

Nor will it always be capped, as I have heaps of combs right now just like that. Honey arch not capped over as the flow is paused and so the bees are waiting.

PH

Have you checked inside some of the cells?
What are the larvae like?

Thank you Poly, there was a pause, as this is a new colony and I put on a super and stop feeding them at the same time. They is plenty of brood and some capped honey in the brood box. The bees have expanded in number quite alot, with them making plenty of comb in the super. I will look in a cell and see whats going on. Thank you for your advise, I will let you (and others reading this) know tomorrow.

Had a look and it's pollen. All stages of bee life going on, as will another super at the end of this week or the beginning of next week. This colony is this years and are doing great. Thank you all for your advice. Learning all the time. bye

Latest posts

Back