Can't sit in the garden

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayJ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Last Wednesday my bees swarmed, I managed to get them back and rehive them in a new b box. As I was going through the old colony the next day to sort out the queen cells, blow me if the old queen didn't take off again back to the same spot in next doors hedge.
This time they stung next doors dog but they still let me in to collect my bees. I wasn't so lucky this time as when I went back some hours later to collect my box the swarm had taken off for good.
I now have one nuc and the remaining parent colony both with a queen cell waiting to hatch.

The thing is, I find I can't sit in the garden at the moment without a bee coming right up in my face and following me. I find it very un-nerving and today someone next door was stung. I'm now making enquiries to find an out apiary but that isn't a quick solution. The bees weren't like this last year and its just the same queen. Do you think its because the colonies are queenless and get a fair bit of mid day sun? Are they likely to calm down again when the new queens arrive, all being well.

Do you think its because the colonies are queenless and get a fair bit of mid day sun? Are they likely to calm down again when the new queens arrive, all being well.

Yes because they are Q-,but they may be worse when the new Queen mates,or may be okay,depends on what drones the new Queen mates with.

As you are finding out the hard way garden beekeeping has it's (potentially very expensive) issues.

I would seriously suggest finding that out apiary a bit quick as although your neighbours are being very kind at the moment, a stung dog is going to raise the spectre of... "Will I be next?" And that concentrates the mind rather negatively....

Be prepared... find that out apiary, and believe me it usually is pretty easy.

PH

Worst thing is when the other half gets stung and chased then you have to pay. Very hard on the credit card.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine became absolutely horrible when I went Q-, it should get better...as long as HM finds some nice boys...

Have just gotten back from moving hives at an out apiary that although in a rural location were close to a public footpath. Bees have been fine until last week or two but have now become very protective and will have a go at anyone near to them. Rather than risking losing the site I have moved them and will be looking with owner for a better location.
Cheers
S

Last edited:
Hmm.... moving hives. This is a very steep learning curve for me. Obviously I'll read the books on how to do it but do you have any tips or pitfalls to watch out for?

Bad luck. Defensive bees can cover 100m if they're really roused, so most gardens aren't big enough to accommodate both sunbathers and stroppy guard bees. Definitely find an out-apiary just in case things don't improve. (I might be Gardenbees, but I'm not under any illusions: gardens aren't always perfect for bees by any means). You may never need it, but whilst you're on the lookout for an out-apiary, reserve a "Plan C" in case your first preferred site falls through. Meanwhile now would be a good time to avoid dark clothing and strong perfumes/after shaves.

Try to find an experienced beekeeper to help if you do need to move the hives - experienced Forum members can explain about moving hives, but you really need someone else on hand on the day if at all possible, and preferably someone who won't flap if bees start to get out, hives get bumped or other potential sources of bee annoyance occur.

Hopefully yours will settle down though. One of my colonies had a stroppy patch a couple of weeks ago when they were very crowded. As I understand it, this has been a rather common occurrence this year, as rapid buildup of bees has led to a lot of brimming broodboxes and swarmy behaviour.

I ordered a new queen from a source I trust, just in case, but in fact my bees have settled down perfectly after a (rather hair-raising) addition of brood space and a super. I also put up tall larchlap fences around the hives to encourage them to fly high over next door's garden rather than prowl around the end of both my garden and theirs. The guard bees went back to their customary perches around the hive entrance after four days of irritable prowling. I've inspected that hive twice since then, and they were as good as ever - i.e. I haven't needed to wear gloves, could brush them lightly aside with my hands, and could go right up to the the hive and take the lid off without them really reacting very much. So I don't think their bad temper is permanent.

If you really want to keep the bees in the garden, you may want to consider splashing out on buying a queen from a good source of good-natured bees (although this only ups the chances a bit: she may still not have the perfect temperament). Meanwhile, the bees are presumably raising their new queen, and will probably be fairly defensive until she's mated and laying, which could be a couple of weeks or more. They may do some mass orientation flights as well at some point, which can look (to anxious neighbours) like a swarm.

:willy_nilly:Be prepared for your neighbours to start noticing all the mining bees, hoverflies, wool carder bees, mason bees, bumblebees, leafcutter bees, bee-flies, bee hawk-moths and any of the stripier kinds of moth!

I remember reading from one member a while back about the problems they had with a neighbor because of a hive they had in the garden.

After a while they had to inform nextdoor that they had an out apiary and the hive had been empty for a year!!

Regards buying in a good queen,in my area many beekeepers have a problem once the queen is superceded from a very quite Italian to an Italian-Carnie/local mongrel cross that follows you bombs you and stings in numbers.

My original nuc last year came from a local gentleman who is into queen rearing and breeding quite docile bees but if a colonies characteristics can change when the new queen mates and you have no control over which drones/species she mates with, it all becomes a bit of a lottery.

Many thanks for all your comments. It does help to talk things over, so to speak.

You could of course go in for instrumental insemination,then you would have control of the drones used for mating as well.

My two colonies were very feisty last week (someone from the association came over to inspect for me as I have just had a heart attack!). Anyway, it turns out there were swarms in the area so lots of scouter bees, and the guard bees were really aggressive. I heard that the two swarms were collected and then the next day my bees calmed down to their usual selves and I was able to sit near the hive and watch them as usual. But a few days before I was stung on the nose (couldn't run quick enough!) and my husband was stung too - so it could be that this is happening in your area. My colleague from the assoication told me that there was quite a few beeks around my area.
Louise

I remember reading from one member a while back about the problems they had with a neighbor because of a hive they had in the garden.

After a while they had to inform nextdoor that they had an out apiary and the hive had been empty for a year!!

Regards buying in a good queen,in my area many beekeepers have a problem once the queen is superceded from a very quite Italian to an Italian-Carnie/local mongrel cross that follows you bombs you and stings in numbers.

My neighbor is like that. We were good friends before he found out i was going to keep bees at the end of my garden. Now he wont talk to me, even though the garden is around 150 feet long and has a 7 foot fence all around it and a line of 30 foot high pine trees down his side.

I heard him screaming about my bees beacause he seen the hive in the garden 2 weeks before i got the bees.

I am now looking for an out apiary too :confused:

I heard him screaming about my bees beacause he seen the hive in the garden 2 weeks before i got the bees.

If he gets stung, he will say it was one of yours...

complain to him that you got stung by wasp that came from his garden.....so it must be his...

Can you put something in so that neighbour cant see the hives? or at least see the flight path? and tell him they arent hives.... but decorative composters.

Its difficult to see bees from a distance when there are trees etc. acting as a backdrop...

Its definitely a crazy year so far, reminds me of April 2 years ago, early warm temps sent my bees into overdrive, this year however has been much hotter for longer, im hoping the drop in temp next week dilutes some of the swarminess.

I did have NZ Bees in my long terraced garden with very interested neighbours, but i could trust those bees, i would never have my local mongrels in the garden.

If he gets stung, he will say it was one of yours...

I hope he gets its registration number then, its going to be hard to prove it was my bee that done the hit and run :biggrinjester:

the guy at the other side to me has Mason bees living in the wall of his house, loads of them! They look just like honey bees too. Was it his or mine?

Last edited:

Yep, think thats what i think is happening to our new apairy, Italian crosses very calm on natural requeening at the other sites which are mainly brown bees are requeen at the new apiary and crossing with the carnies grizzly bees ( we know a few beginners who last year bought carnie packages from Gloucestershire)

A rather defensive bees resulting from the crosses that follows at least 50yds. i have killed already a nuc and a coloney for following, two others are being re queen next week though all we could get this early was imports

Is there OSR nearby??? Some say that the girls get a bit more feisty when they are working it...

Ben P

Bees in a bad mood

This appears similar to my experience this year

It has been very mild winter and the bees have built up early and with loads of bees and brood present in the box (operating on brood and a half)

The OSR is in full bloom and the bees are very active around the hive and can be seen congregating at the entrance

They were getting stroppy got stung twice whilst working in the garden 30m from the hive this is very uncharacteristic.

Anyway did an inspection maybe a bit to late and found them brimming over very crowded so I added a super and did chequer boarding. What a change no problem at all now the girls have calmed down and are no longer stroppy.

They have a way if communicating their dissatisfaction that I was unaware of being a new beek but I have sure learned a lesson that does not appear in any of the books I have read.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back