Can't say no !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
What is it with us beekeepers that we can't say no to a swarm !
Are we greedy, enjoy the challenge, feel obligated, think we are cleaver, love bees to much, think it might be from one of our own hives, just human error, or something completely different. I'm not sure where I would put myself, probably somewhere between feel obligated and love bees too much.

I say no all the time, i don't want them at all... but i do pass on a telephone number of someone who does want them.

I caught 2 last month and gave them away... promised the missus no more (also only have 1 spare hive). Then last week my trusty paper lined wicker basket pulled another in. They were super gentle so I just couldn't refuse.

apart from enjoying collecting swarms, being a pest controller, I know theres firms out there that will kill them, so I prefer to take them, owning a woodland means Im never stuck for somewhere to put them

Just collected another one today.. I have too many bees... but I love seeing them all wander up a sheet into a hive.

Haha .... I know what you mean!

I've gone from 6 to 12 colonies this year collecting swarms and with bait hives etc and Ive got another cut out in the pipeline too. No doubt I'll still say yes to the next swarm call even though I'm down to my last 2 spare full size hives!

For me its the challenge and enjoyment of collecting them, getting them home and watching them thrive. If all goes well they fill that comb with honey and all the while they're keeping you 2nd guessing at what they might do next. Then they surprise you with something out of the blue every now and then to keep you on your toes.

I also think its because they are free........ :D

The people I work with say I'm obsessed with honeybees, and my wife says she's a Bee Widow......... Lol :icon_204-2:

Hi all,
As a beek, I feel that I perform a public service in collecting swarms as I am fully aware that not everyone likes bees. As well as that, I enjoy the boy scout element of it and the energy of a swarms quick development.

I've met some real hotties doing it ...... happy days

I had a call to say there were a lot of bees clustered in a tree in the middle of our village. Thankfully when I got there they had departed as I haven't any more brood boxes available.

Are we greedy, enjoy the challenge, feel obligated, think we are cleaver, love bees to much, think it might be from one of our own hives, just human error, or something completely different. I'm not sure where I would put myself, probably somewhere between feel obligated and love bees too much.

I can and do say no but direct queries to someone who will say "yes."
Enough is enough!
Cazza

Well you cant leave them out in the cold can you, and of course they will be hungry.....

Latest posts

Back