cane vs beet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybloke

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
I have heard some beeks claim that there is a difference in these 2 main sugars which beeks feed their bees on, what do the forum members think?

Then I'm a fool........ there ARE perceivable differences, not least in the "other bits" found in sugar (trace minerals) - as a professional cake-maker will tell you, the two sugars have different melting points as well, which kinda suggests that they are NOT the same.
To be pedantic, the main ingredient of what you find in bags of sugar may be similar (sucrose), but there are perceivable, measurable differences in cane and beet sugars as sold.......

I use Locally grown, minimum transport, locally refined, locally packaged, PURE British Sugar (Cantley Sugar Factory within a few miles of here) :biggrinjester:

I bye sugar from local Lidl.
It has smallest price number.

Last edited:
seem to remember on my course that we were advised to use Cane not beet sugar, cant totally remember why but believe it was due to the purity of it?? but down here in cornwall it is quite hard toget hold of. To be honest apart from fondant feed over the winter I try and let my bees sort themselves out as much as possible, having said which I am planning to give them some ambrosia syrup this year to boost them ready for winter.

Last edited:
This week on offer in UK Lidls at 68p kilo - cane sugar!:D

I find it amusing the debates about the toxins which may or may not be present in sugar when the list of known poisons in anti varroa treatments is as long as my arm.
Oxalic acid, formic acid and thymol to name but three..

Read Rob Manley's Beekeeping in Britain, published in 1947. One of the topics that he writes about that were hot topics at the time is the merits of beet vs cane sugar. He states no difference between the two and credits the debate to beet sugar being inferior in the late nineteenth century.

Good to see that we've moved on.

BTW are the Fins related to the Scots and Yorkshire men

Scots I think... Picks and Kilts or something like that...

One of the Scandinavian countries made a claim that Scotland belongs to them some years ago..

One of the Scandinavian countries made a claim that Scotland belongs to them some years ago..

As a Scot of rather mixed parentage, the ignorance of Englsih history by the English always gives me great bewilderment... since the English are of largely Viking descent - ie.. Danes..

Indeed, the original Englsih monarchy - Canute - was Danish..

"England finally gained peace in 1016 when a Dane called Canute became king."
http://www.localhistories.org/viking.html

And the subsequent Norman Kings had Viking parents..

"It must also be remembered, that the Normans themselves where of Viking origin. The Chronicles tell us that Normandy was founded by a Danish fleet lead by a Norwegian called Hrof Ganger at the time of the French king, Charles the Stupid. Like their cousins across the Channel these Vikings rapidly inter-married with the local population. The main difference between the Danes in England and the Danes in France is that of numbers: in England it is estimated that they may have made up to 20 per cent of the population, whilst in Normandy they were less than 5 per cent. This, combined with the fact that English and Norse were similar as opposed to Norse and French being so dissimilar, meant that the language spoken in England in 1066, even allowing for regional variation, was an Anglo-Norse language whereas the Normans spoke French and indeed had adopted French customs. "

http://www.britannia.com/history/articles/normvik.html

But then the English education system is carp...and cannot even teach its own history to its own countrymen...

Latest posts

Back