Cane or Beet ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROACHMAN

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
50+
Sorry if this has been asked before but I am receiving conflicting advise.

A fellow beekeeper (who has 35 years exp) and a beekeeping book I read recently state that cane sugar should be used in preference to beet but an article in the Beecraft mag this month stated that either can be used.

Can anyone shed any light on this, so far I have been using beet sugar this Autumn, the bees are taking it readily, have I made a mistake ?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I am receiving conflicting advise.

A fellow beekeeper (who has 35 years exp) and a beekeeping book I read recently state that cane sugar should be used in preference to beet but an article in the Beecraft mag this month stated that either can be used.

Can anyone shed any light on this, so far I have been using beet sugar this Autumn, the bees are taking it readily, have I made a mistake ?

Funnily enough I just came across a recommendation in the Notts newsletter that beet should be used in preference to cane! Am ignoring.

another set of moronic beeks blindly talking dribble that has been past down the holy line of other beeks to eventualy contaminate the modern world, do these idiots still chase swarms banging metal pots with iron keys,

if i remeber rightly and it can be the other way round but i think,
tate and lyle only use sugar cane and everyone else uses sugar beets so if you want to keep with the hocus pocus them use there sugars rather than anyone elses

Heh heh!!!

When "natural beekeepers" produce honey, they must feed brown sugar to bees. Why- chemically is is nonsence.

They cannot use plastic hivesas inner surface, no inseminated queens etc. Take your own...

This "more natural" beekeeper doesn't feed sugar (I leave them with sufficient of their own stores not to need it), if I did it would be white cane sugar - have no need of "inseminated queens", they "do it naturally", and they are very happy in their natural wood hives...... :rofl:

why the white cane sugar bros? cane sugar production is more pesticide heavy than sugar beet, it's bleached to whiten it, and transported 1000,s of miles by sea.
british sugar for me, locally grown and produced.

This "more natural" beekeeper doesn't feed sugar (I leave them with sufficient of their own stores not to need it), if I did it would be white cane sugar - have no need of "inseminated queens", they "do it naturally", and they are very happy in their natural wood hives...... :rofl:

verry funny!!!

Yes but these is in European Union Regulations about "natural honey production".

The most natural humans do not keep bees at all because beekeeping is unnatural

BACK TO CAVES!!! We have no caves. Only some minings full of water. We have to try something else, like produce cellphones.

Last edited:
why the white cane sugar bros? cane sugar production is more pesticide heavy than sugar beet, it's bleached to whiten it, and transported 1000,s of miles by sea.british sugar for me, locally grown and produced.

Do you remember when 13 million nergoes transported from Africa to cultivate cane sugar.

I have believed that UK lives by transporting all kind of stuffs. The more distance the better!

Does sugar cane live at the distance of 1000 miles from British Isles?

no beekeeping is natural, therefore, being semantically pedantic, I referred to "more" natural beekeeping....:coolgleamA:

Do you remember when 13 million nergoes transported from Africa to cultivate cane sugar.

I have believed that UK lives by transporting all kind of stuffs. The more distance the better!

Does sugar cane live at the distance of 1000 miles from British Isles?

don't know / care, but I do know it grows within 3 miles of here, and is processed within 10 miles of here!

don't know / care, but I do know it grows within 3 miles of here, and is processed within 10 miles of here!

Danish Sugar bought our sugar factories and now was Unilever bought Danske Sukker company.

I bought years from Finnish Yeast Factory. It is owned by a French company and the yeast comes from Canada factories. Soya flour comes from Dutch company Hamilton. Pollen comes from China.

Hives boxes are made in Denmark. Frames are made in Estonia. Italian bees are from , I do not know? I drive with Japan car Toyota and gasoline is made from Russian oil.

HAPPY NATURAL

Last edited:
Danish Sugar bought our sugar factories and now was Unilever bought Danske Sukker company.

I bought years from Finnish Yeast Factory. It is owned by a French company and the yeast comes from Canada factories. Soya flour comes from Dutch company Hamilton. Pollen comes from China.

Hives boxes are made in Denmark. Frames are made in Estonia. Italian bees are from , I do not know? I drive with Japan car Toyota and gasoline is made from Russian oil.

HAPPY NATURAL

I ain't a 'natural beekeeper' !!

no beekeeping is natural, therefore, being semantically pedantic, I referred to "more" natural beekeeping....:coolgleamA:

Shame your pedantry doesn't extend to tautology...

I am fairly confident that Sugar cane is not grown anywhere in the UK (on a commercial basis)

Sugar Beet, yes, particularly in Norfolk

Latest posts

Back