Candy boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cricketfool

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone used candy boards? I've heard them mentioned on U.S. sites but not UK ones. I am still not sure if I need to feed my colony this winter and when. I guess this cold snap may mean they are using up more stores at an early stage of the winter yes?

Has anyone used candy boards? I've heard them mentioned on U.S. sites but not UK ones. I am still not sure if I need to feed my colony this winter and when. I guess this cold snap may mean they are using up more stores at an early stage of the winter yes?

I'm guessing that no replies means that no one IS using candy boards!!!

candy (faondant) boards

as i understand it these are boxes that replace the crownboard into which fondant has been poured.

since many UK beeks will be going down the line of a big block of bako fondant then it is easier to just take a slice and stick in onto the top of the frames so it is right near the bees (or on top of CB in strong colony).

the less the bees have to move to get the food the better during winter.

This is the UK. Not many here from the good ol' US of A. Thay's probably why.

Having enough stores in the autumn (sorry, fall) means they should get through the winter without intervention/interference.

RAB

You can guage whether a winter feed is necessary by hefting the hive. If the hive is light then you can top up with fondant...

Ben P

Last edited:
But as I have posted on another page. The bee farmers are saying they are having to feed fondant now as bees hungry- much earlier than usual.
Better safe than sorry- fondant cheaper than new bees!

Latest posts

Back