Candle making advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there
having a go at hand-dipped candles as well as new cylinder moulds this year. Does anyone know why lines develop across the candle, when dipping? See photo attached, I made a few yesterday to try out different wick sizes for a burning test before i launch into making more. I'm trying to keep the beeswax about 75C- 80C max. I'm dipping 2-4 times, then cooling for about a couple of minutes then rolling between parchment paper on a smooth solid surface. But the lines still appear. You can see from the photo attached my first attempts (3 candles on the right), then got better (2 candles on left), but can't seem to get really smooth. Any tips please?

Also new problem with my moulds, I got a few small bubbles in the candle, any tips how to avoid these? See photo

Appreciate any advice from experienced candle makers!
Thanks
Elaine

Attachments

• A6579BA2-415D-485B-A6BF-7C3C6EE240AD.jpeg
    A6579BA2-415D-485B-A6BF-7C3C6EE240AD.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 74
  • 75116135-C8A5-4C30-97B3-5579602A98FA.jpeg
    75116135-C8A5-4C30-97B3-5579602A98FA.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 74
Hi there
having a go at hand-dipped candles as well as new cylinder moulds this year. Does anyone know why lines develop across the candle, when dipping? See photo attached, I made a few yesterday to try out different wick sizes for a burning test before i launch into making more. I'm trying to keep the beeswax about 75C- 80C max. I'm dipping 2-4 times, then cooling for about a couple of minutes then rolling between parchment paper on a smooth solid surface. But the lines still appear. You can see from the photo attached my first attempts (3 candles on the right), then got better (2 candles on left), but can't seem to get really smooth. Any tips please?

Also new problem with my moulds, I got a few small bubbles in the candle, any tips how to avoid these? See photo

Thanks
Elaine

Sorry I can't help, but let us know how they burn. I find they burn too fast so that molten wax runs down the candlestick onto the polish of our Welsh dresser. For this reason, and the fact that they spit, SWMBO has banned them.

I find they burn too fast so that molten wax runs down the candlestick onto the polish of our Welsh dresser.
sounds like the wicks are too thin for the diameter of the candle. A good candle (whether dipped or moulded) should have no wax snots running down its side as all the wax should burn off.
I find a standard eight inch dinner candle lasts me three Christmas morning dawn services with some to spare with not one drop of wax falling on the table I use in the Deacon's seat for the service. so probably seven hours or more.

sounds like the wicks are too thin for the diameter of the candle. A good candle (whether dipped or moulded) should have no wax snots running down its side as all the wax should burn off.
I find a standard eight inch dinner candle lasts me three Christmas morning dawn services with some to spare with not one drop of wax falling on the table I use in the Deacon's seat for the service. so probably seven hours or more.
Hi, I've made them with various sized square braided wicks and the same happens & early on in the dipping, so I think it's something else other than the wick size but not sure what!? I run my fingers down each wick after first priming with wax, so they're straight. Know it's difficult giving advice from pictures, but if you think of anything else that might be causing the 'ripples' pls let me know. Nice image of Xmas by the way :)
Thanks
Elaine

Dipped candles are very difficult to get an even surface on .. I've never dipped beeswax candles but I've done candle wax/tallow ones. What I used to do was after the first dip of the wick I would roll that to get it as even and straight as possible ... then the art is in the speed and evenness with which you dip .. too fast and the ridges will form because the wax slumps.... too slow and the ridges form because you have softened the previous layer too much. Rolling in between dips whilst the wax is still soft can help but outside of that it's as much about trial and error and refining your technique. I'm sure there are more expert candle makers on here than me and I'll be interested to hear how they do it .... if they will pass on their tricks (there's a bit of a secret society amongst candle makers I find ... they don't all seem to like passing on the knowledge !)

Dipped candles are very difficult to get an even surface on .. I've never dipped beeswax candles but I've done candle wax/tallow ones. What I used to do was after the first dip of the wick I would roll that to get it as even and straight as possible ... then the art is in the speed and evenness with which you dip .. too fast and the ridges will form because the wax slumps.... too slow and the ridges form because you have softened the previous layer too much. Rolling in between dips whilst the wax is still soft can help but outside of that it's as much about trial and error and refining your technique. I'm sure there are more expert candle makers on here than me and I'll be interested to hear how they do it .... if they will pass on their tricks (there's a bit of a secret society amongst candle makers I find ... they don't all seem to like passing on the knowledge !)
V helpful Thankyou. Think as you say it’s a balance of having wax at right temperature, speed of dipping, drying time between dips and rolling technique. Oh as well as wick size etc etc. All part of the challenge like many aspects of beekeeping! Will have another go tomorrow but in meantime, expert candlemakers pls come forward with your tips please.

Sorry I can't help, but let us know how they burn. I find they burn too fast so that molten wax runs down the candlestick onto the polish of our Welsh dresser. For this reason, and the fact that they spit, SWMBO has banned them.
The taper hand dipped candles 3/4" diameter burnt well, with wick no 2 (Thornes square braided wick) being the clear winner, burnt evenly, lovely golden flame, after 3 sets of c 3-4 hours burning, c10-11 hours total, still some candle left. 1A and 3 wick size both dribbled a little, so rejected.
Just got to practise the taper candle dipping & rolling more & try and solve the slight ripples appearing on the outside of the candle.

I love dipping candles, and have been a lot less scientific than you, Elainemary, in my couple of attempts, and mine are not by any means refined - yet! There are certainly expert candle dippers on here. I know JBM wins prizes for wax and I think candles too... and so, like Pargyle, I'm watching this thread closely. Just do what they say, and not what I did.... which was to keep dipping on my first attempt, thinking that with every next dip, I would be able to smooth out those bumps and ripples. Until, looking at my candles, which I realised were gradually losing that elegant shape I wanted, I suddenly saw they resembled less something which would grace an elegant table, but rather more, something intimidating from a sex shop!

got to practise the taper candle dipping & rolling more & try and solve the slight ripples appearing on the outside of the candle.
Maybe they're cooling down too quickly?
I know when making plain wax mould cakes, if you don't slow the cooling of the outer surface right down (which ends up being the underside of the finished product) you get ripples over the whole surface.

they resembled less something which would grace an elegant table, but rather more, something intimidating from a sex shop!
Some of us aren't in the habit of frequenting those places so I'll take your word for it ;)😁

I love dipping candles, and have been a lot less scientific than you, Elainemary, in my couple of attempts, and mine are not by any means refined - yet! There are certainly expert candle dippers on here. I know JBM wins prizes for wax and I think candles too... and so, like Pargyle, I'm watching this thread closely. Just do what they say, and not what I did.... which was to keep dipping on my first attempt, thinking that with every next dip, I would be able to smooth out those bumps and ripples. Until, looking at my candles, which I realised were gradually losing that elegant shape I wanted, I suddenly saw they resembled less something which would grace an elegant table, but rather more, something intimidating from a sex shop!
😂

Think I’ve nearly cracked hand dipped candles, in my beeswax sweatshop all day. Total respect for all handycrafters out there, the time and effort that goes into keeping old skills alive 🐝🕯😅

Attachments

• B4C63C24-210E-4B06-BF13-9D7E588D4383.jpeg
    B4C63C24-210E-4B06-BF13-9D7E588D4383.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 41
  • F0EB0B3B-9B56-4BC9-900D-B59A9EEE0A92.jpeg
    F0EB0B3B-9B56-4BC9-900D-B59A9EEE0A92.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 128D2F72-E95D-4B89-A766-32DF294CEF35.jpeg
    128D2F72-E95D-4B89-A766-32DF294CEF35.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
Hi there

Thanks
Elaine
Have a looks at this you tube video

The key is a steady even speed in and out of the wax and then frequent rolling. I use 2 sheets of glass and apply even pressure along the length of the candle

Very nice and well done. What was the answer in the end?
as I made quite a few pairs today it meant each candle had time to dry between dipping, I think I rushed my test ones and didn’t leave enough time for the wax to cool before dipping again. V satisfying to crack it in the end 😊

Very nice and well done. What was the answer in the end?

They do look very nice .... might have to try my hand at Beeswax dipped candles ... somewhere in my store of things I will sometime need I have a copper tube I used for dipping tallow candles ... not quite sure where I saw it last but having seen those I will have to seek it out ...

Back