canadian clearing board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard davis

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Please don't laugh...But which way up does the canadian clearing board go ?...Is it with the cone narrow ends pointing up or down.....

Thanks Swarm,I bought it from Thornes but they were not sure which way it went..odd i thought at the time....but now I know... Thanks again....

Better still cover the central hole, remove the cone escapes and replace with half rhombus ones.

Pity people waste time with clearing boards. All that is necessary is to gently shake and brush the bees off each frame of 80% or so capped cells and stick them one by one into an adjacent empty BB or super, putting a lid on top to stop bees descending on the frames that you have just cleared. The odd bee or two will get in or fail to be removed but that is soon dealt with when you move the box(es) into your bottling shed/room - ie just open the window and they will buzz off. Amazingly simple really. I made Canadian clearing board some years ago but apart from first time don't bother now.

I don't own a bee brush, lost it years ago, don't see the point in brushing bees unless they are dead

A petrol leaf blower works quickly.

I don't own a bee brush, lost it years ago, don't see the point in brushing bees unless they are dead

:iagree:

Got a hundred or so frames to clear Thursday be b*ggered if I'm going to spend ages flicking bees off them and popping each one quickly into a lidded box

I also shake bees off super combs and it takes less than 1 minute per super (once you learn the technique you can shake them all off a comb with one good shake) and saves me the return journey to the outapiary if I had to put clearers on and the come back the next day. It also allows me to select just sealed combs and the honey will still be warm ready for extracting when I get home.

Shaking and brushing is fine, so long as you don't have too many to do. If you don't have a bee brush (or couldn't be bothered to walk back to the car to get it) a hand full of grass makes a pretty good substitute.

Same if you forget the paper

Latest posts

Back