Can you use commercial supers on national brood boxs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Like the title says. I've heard of it being done the other way round, but given the big flow right now and shortage of hive parts from the main suppliers, would it work this way round?

Matt

glad to hear that you've a good honey flow.

The walls of Commercial boxes are about quarter inch bigger than National - so you need to centre them exactly (and seal the join wit duct tape)

go for it!

r

Matt

glad to hear that you've a good honey flow.

The walls of Commercial boxes are about quarter inch bigger than National - so you need to centre them exactly (and seal the join wit duct tape)

go for it!

r

I've never had to use duct tape on any of my hives when mixing supers.

There slightly bigger on the outside but not by much.

Can you use commercial supers on national brood boxs?

For what it's worth if I was using nationals that's exactly the way I'd do it. It's an excellent box which seems to be quite neglected, as you say MattC, we often hear of people using BS supers on commercial broods but not so much the other way round.

For what it's worth if I was using nationals that's exactly the way I'd do it. It's an excellent box which seems to be quite neglected, as you say MattC, we often hear of people using BS supers on commercial broods but not so much the other way round.

This I presume is because a full commercial super is a bit heavier than a national super? I've also considered using commercial supers, for the reason that they are easy to make myself - easier than national supers. But put off by the extra weight.

Commercial supers are quite commonly used on National hives across the whole of Ireland. I haven't gone in that direction just yet.....

What are the main reasons for using commercial supers instead of nationals? The more I think about it, the more I'm drawn to the idea of a single frame size for brood and supers... But what size?

Quite simply, they are bigger and thus allow a greater volume of honey to be ripened and stored in them. They give slightly more room to clustering bees also and, for one or three beekeepers I know in the South, they are more straightforward to make than a national super.

"What are the main reasons for using commercial supers instead of nationals? The more I think about it, the more I'm drawn to the idea of a single frame size for brood and supers... But what size?“

I tried it this year with a polystyrene Langstroth - 4 medium boxes with plastic frames. Must say I'm impressed so far and enjoyed it. It makes things simpler. Only problem is that Langstroth frames are not that popular in the UK, so may not be so easy to sell nuclei on them as it is with Nationals.

From a shook swarm in Spring the bees were soon on four boxes full. I have got them down to three and a split for next year now.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back