Can you overfeed syrup at this time of year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two hive owners are right. Their 2 hives really need 5 different systems to give syrup to hives. Winter feeding is the most simple task in beekeeping. IT must be a challenge!

2000 hive owner can do to bees what ever. But two hive beginner needs only one habit to feed them. Main thing is that he does it.

Thanks to Cussword for his intellectual poking!

A BIG leap two hives to two thousand.... but principles are the same.
Some here on the forum probably run considerably more than two colonies I suspect!!

Yeghes da

A BIG leap two hives to two thousand.... but principles are the same.
Some here on the forum probably run considerably more than two colonies I suspect!!

Yeghes da

Basics of beekeeping. How many 2000 hive ownersers you have in Britain? They surely not draw their business with basics.

And feeding is bottomless quell of high score humour!

Best of all is how to weigh the package of 1 kg sugar? How to measure one litre water? Come on, I understand no adult in British Imperium can be that stupid, but how can he twist jokes from that? ...and comment from Tamar Valley is always a strawberry on cake.

Last edited:
Two hive owners are right. Their 2 hives really need 5 different systems to give syrup to hives. Winter feeding is the most simple task in beekeeping. IT must be a challenge!

2000 hive owner can do to bees what ever. But two hive beginner needs only one habit to feed them. Main thing is that he does it.

Thanks to Cussword for his intellectual poking!

Wow, am I really a "two hive owner" I most certainly have gone up in the world.

Mr Argyle, be careful, I'm on your tail. :cool:

Basics of beekeeping. How many 2000 hive ownersers you have in Britain? They surely not draw their business with basics.

And feeding is bottomless quell of high score humour!

Best of all is how to weigh the package of 1 kg sugar? How to measure one litre water? Come on, I understand no adult in British Imperium can be that stupid, but how can he twist jokes from that? ...and comment from Tamar Valley is always a strawberry on cake.

And it has to be said the BEST, BIGGEST and MOST DELICIOUS and FRUITIEST strawberries in the world are grown in the Tamar Valley not worthy

Syvyen gwella a Kernow

Nos da

ditto ditto! :)

would this be an ideal time to try foundationless frames ?

This was the quote I was looking for the other day ...

As for adding foundation. September in particular is a truly great month here for getting new combs drawn in the nest whilst doing the winter feeding. Not a drone cell on them. We get three to five new combs drawn in almost all our early home hives (up to 1st week Oct in wood, third week in poly) It will all be down to the maritime climate. Yet they do even more radical things in Denmark and Norway, where they can put them into winter on all new wax and feed to get it drawn.

ps....it is very unusual, if we have fed the 14Kg, for the bees to need anything more feed wise before the spring feed window.

so my plan is to get a thymol/2:1 sugar feed on + the ivy and get them to build out some frames (have two hives that I want to double brood and have some super frames on due to running out ... and had some success in spring with foundationless frames so thinking of trying this)

This was the quote I was looking for the other day ...

so my plan is to get a thymol/2:1 sugar feed on + the ivy and get them to build out some frames (have two hives that I want to double brood and have some super frames on due to running out ... and had some success in spring with foundationless frames so thinking of trying this)

I get frames drawn in the brood like this every year. It works well on strong colonies. I have been given a nuc on manky frames so I am going to double brood them just like you are trying.

Latest posts

Back