Can you move bees abroad?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compost Kid

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, we are planning to up sticks and move from East Midlands to Southern Ireland in the next year or so (as soon as it takes to sell). I have ten healthy hives which have taken me a few years to build up and which provide me with some much needed extra cash in honey sales as I am a full-time carer to my son.

My question is, is it possible to move colonies of bees abroad? Has anyone seen it done, or any experience?

The obvious answer is to sell all my hives when the time comes to move and to buy more bees in Ireland, but then I would be at the mercy of the time of year (nobody selling bees in Winter much), availability and having to buy hives as well as bees. On a sentimental note, I'm also a bit fond of them!

I'm just looking at all my options at the moment and wondering if moving bees abroad is an option. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
If you are concerned about not having ‘ local’ bees, whatever they are supposed to be, buy some queens and replace your own. Galtee bees have a good reputation.
When you move them make sure they don’t overheat, a friend lost his yesterday and was devastated.
S

Hi, we are planning to up sticks and move from East Midlands to Southern Ireland in the next year or so (as soon as it takes to sell). I have ten healthy hives which have taken me a few years to build up and which provide me with some much needed extra cash in honey sales as I am a full-time carer to my son.

My question is, is it possible to move colonies of bees abroad? Has anyone seen it done, or any experience?

The obvious answer is to sell all my hives when the time comes to move and to buy more bees in Ireland, but then I would be at the mercy of the time of year (nobody selling bees in Winter much), availability and having to buy hives as well as bees. On a sentimental note, I'm also a bit fond of them!

I'm just looking at all my options at the moment and wondering if moving bees abroad is an option. Thanks. :)
FIBKA don't seem to approve: https://irishbeekeeping.ie/education/articles/grave-danger-bee-imports/

But see here: https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/medi...ney/ImportingBeesfromEUMemberStates250718.pdf

This document talks about importing bees from other EEC countries....so if you are moving after the end of the year, that could complicate things more....I suppose if it proved impossible, you could sell your bees and just take your hives..... Galtee bees are an excellent choice.

Just take them. Nobody seems to bother adhering to the rules so why should you? All these polish / Italian imports, hives moved the length of Britain. You could say you bought them local in Ireland.

Just take them. Nobody seems to bother adhering to the rules so why should you? All these polish / Italian imports, hives moved the length of Britain. You could say you bought them local in Ireland.

But they are following the rules!!!!!!....there’s also Irish buckfast groups and others. If you are moving I suggest contacting your local Bee Inspector to cover your bases, moving whole hives over distance is problematic. I suggest you consider putting a strong colony into a 6 frame travel box or purpose designed single brood with full mesh screen screwed on top and a vented floor screwed to the brood and rachet strap for good measure. Depending on time of year you may have to find a local your end to take any extra bees/brood.

This is ABSOLUTELY the wrong advice.
Politically, there seems to be a precedent for doing whatever you like at the moment but, legally, you'd get into a lot of trouble. The correct procedure would be contact the National Bee Unit and seek an export licence since Eire is not part of the UK. This would depend on two things:
1) the health status of the colonies involved
2) the existence of an protection order in the area to which you intend moving them.
In all honesty, I think it is unlikely that you'd be granted an export licence.

Do you need any paperwork to take them? What do the ferry companies require? Eg if you are checked at Holyhead, will the customs and or ferry employees be ok with it?

Do you need any paperwork to take them? What do the ferry companies require? Eg if you are checked at Holyhead, will the customs and or ferry employees be ok with it?

They will be ok if you have the right paper work, just the same as the other imports that come in.

Whatever - if they end up in outward checks in Wales, I'll probably end up getting a phonecall and 'can you do us a favour...............'

Might I suggest the OP contact the NBU to find out. Then he can come back and tell us so that we all know

Thank you everyone, definitely a lot to think about. I may have to just take it on the chin and when the time comes, sell my hives and hope the money covers the cost of new/second hand equipment and Irish bees.

The journey was something I was thinking might be hard going for the bees, not so much in Winter but definitely in Summer as we are already located around five hours away from the ferry terminal and that would only be half the journey really. I think you've answered my question. Thank you. :)

Thank you everyone, definitely a lot to think about. I may have to just take it on the chin and when the time comes, sell my hives and hope the money covers the cost of new/second hand equipment and Irish bees.

The journey was something I was thinking might be hard going for the bees, not so much in Winter but definitely in Summer as we are already located around five hours away from the ferry terminal and that would only be half the journey really. I think you've answered my question. Thank you. :)

On the subject of the journey are you aware that packages come from Italy!

If you cant find a way to sell the bees and keep your equipment and have to replace the hives themselves, buy replacements in the UK in a sale. It will be much cheaper than buying hives in Ireland.

Latest posts

Back