can you guess what this is?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merylvingien

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Apart from being a baby bird of course...

_MG_3537resize.jpg

i would say a baby chaffinch as a guess

most of the fluff will fall off as proper feathers develop. The colour of the fluff can be ignored

The light colour on the leading edges of the wing feathers suggest it is not a sparrow, but from the photo looks about sparrow size.

the legs and the shape suggests it is finchy

if it was taken recently, I doubt very much if it will survive the winter :(

i would say a baby chaffinch as a guess

most of the fluff will fall off as proper feathers develop. The colour of the fluff can be ignored

The light colour on the leading edges of the wing feathers suggest it is not a sparrow, but from the photo looks about sparrow size.

the legs and the shape suggests it is finchy

if it was taken recently, I doubt very much if it will survive the winter :(

At first glance you would think it was a Chaffinch, its difficult to get a scale of things from a photo, but take a good look, it is sat on a tea bag in my compost bin, so that may help give some perspective of size. Very small. :)

What about a wren chick there very small.

Taking every thing into account ........... if it were in my garden ................

I reckon it would be ............

the cats lunch :(

Given it is so small it might be a Goldcrest, our smallest bird. They nest in confers or sometimes ivy. However, there are no markings on the head so might be some sort of warbler.

Is this a recent picture, as it's chances of survival at this time of year are a bit slim?

Hi

It looks very much like a Wren to me.

Rooftops has it...

Its a Goldcrest. Very unusual to even see these birds, let alone take a photo.

I rescued this one yesterday, he neeeded lifting out of the compo bin and raising onto a higher branch with his siblings.

Very late for such young birds. I hope the little fella's make it.

Looks very much like a cockoozlum bird,very rare.

Latest posts

Back