Can swarm lure in bait hive cause any problems with existing bees in apiary?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bees knees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Our bees have seemed a bit on the angry side of late. They definitely have a laying queen and all seems well otherwise. The change in temprament seemed to coincide with us putting out some refurbished hives in the apiary a couple of weeks ago - one of which we set up as a bait hive with some swarm lure we were given. Is there any chance that either the presence of new hives nearby or the swarm lure could have affected them?? I've removed the swarm lure today just in case.

BK :piggy:

I doubt it will be the hives themselves.

They might be British middle class bees and dont want neighbours too close and looking into their garden.bee-smillie

The serious answer is possibly yes. Keep them clear of the hives.

PH

PH - do you mean keep the swarm lure away? Or do you mean the new old hives we have added?

Enjoying the other comments!

BK ;)

The swarm lure.

I have it on good authority that there are artificial compounds which can confuse existing colonies, which is to say very powerful compounds.

PH

Thanks PH. Swarm lure has gone. Will see if the bees calm down a bit as a result.

BK:)

Latest posts

Back