Can of worms here.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't see the can of worms. Questions all seem straight forward. Would be probably be a clear split with answers between hobyists and commercial beekeepers. Appears it might drive direction of national funding by the current zeit geist.

Licensing UK queen breeders and restricting imports. No, I can't see any contentious issues either.

Didn't ask if people acquired imported or UK bred queens.

I'd of thought that might be of interest to them

ooops... missed the next page.... silly me !

More "near native" propaganda dressed up as a serious survey. It is full of loaded questions.

Where it asked for comments I was suitably rude caustic about their claims: As they would publish evidence if they had any, but have published nothing then the reason is obvious.

More worrying is DEFRAs political reasons for wanting the survey in the first place.
I can see that those not in favour of importing queens rubbing their hands with glee at the impending Brexit and the chaos it may cause to this trade and UK beekeepers. The few conversations I've had with the "exporters" suggest potentially worrying times ahead for those of us who rely on their breeding expertise. All will eventually be revealed when the politicians eventually sort out a "deal". Although what sort of a deal that will be is open to conjecture.
I can see annual holidays touring around various queen breeders in Denmark/Germany/Exmoor being high on my agenda.

Last edited:
I saw optimism tbh. To those of us who do care about protecting native bees, it is tiring to listen to the usual negative comments.
If imports and non native bees are your preference, fine, crack on. Is there a good reason to be so anti towards another sub species?

I saw optimism tbh. To those of us who do care about protecting native bees, it is tiring to listen to the usual negative comments.

I'll keep saying this.......we all need to appreciate and respect each other choices of strains.
We all have different reasons for keeping bees and our choice of strain often reflects that. I think it's great people care for our native bee. Long may its fans keep them in special reserves.
What I would hate would be a forced choice of native(or near) Amm's or nothing.

More worrying is DEFRAs political reasons for wanting the survey in the first place.

:iagree:
APHA usually are impartial. They usually focus on the science. I was quite shocked to find such a biased document. If this is the shape of things to come, they'll get no more cooperation from me.
At best, I would say someone had a brain-fart in sending out such an inflammatory document

Last edited:
More "near native" propaganda dressed up as a serious survey. It is full of loaded questions.
:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:
I duly filled in the survey being led along until I got to the final page. Nowhere does it indicate that the interest is purely in AMM until the final questions. If this is a 'considered idea' from APHA then whoever is leading this either has a hidden agenda or a worrying lack of knowledge about bee breeding and the availability and traits of local bees. We have suffered several years of the BBKA and their 'local bees' scheme and have endemic nasty bees in our area. I suggest that APHA look closely at the German/Danish models and come up with proposals rather than vague surveys leading to one route which they appear to have pre-determined.

I suggest that APHA look closely at the German/Danish models and come up with proposals rather than vague surveys leading to one route which they appear to have pre-determined.

:iagree:
I couldn't agree more Brian.
If my experience with the BBKA Bee Breeders certificate last year is anything to go by, scientific knowledge is giving way to personal agendas. This is all very worrying indeed.

If imports and non native bees are your preference, fine, crack on. Is there a good reason to be so anti towards another sub species?

The "anti" comes almost entirely from the "other" subspecies. Your own willingness to accept the preferences of others is not common in my experience.
The entire purpose of the questionnaire is to remove that choice from others.

The entire purpose of the questionnaire is to remove that choice from others.

You may be right there Stuart. If so, the credibility of an organisation we have all come to trust must be called into question. Trust is hard won and easily lost.

As a side note, I was told "apha" is close to "anus" in german. Can anyone confirm this?

Latest posts

Back