Can I replace cedar with larch ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambodach

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've a stock of old hive parts and have found that one of the roofs has fallen apart. The metal cover is still fine as is the timber under it, but the 'side' wood has given up. I could go and chase up some WRC but know that I can get larch locally which will be cheaper to buy and immediately available.

So the question is - will it do well enough? I accept that it won't last the 40 years I've had it and quite possibly another 40 that the previous owner had it, but from that you can see that 20 years would be well enough for me.

Rob

Yes Larch is a durable timber harder and heavier than cedar

Larch is fine but extremely heavy,also watch out for gum pockets that make everything sticky.I made a hive once out of larch but the end result was so heavy when full of bees,wax and stores that I only ever made one.Cedar is about half the weight but no more durable than larch which used to be a fine boat building timber.

A heavy roof can be a bonus in windy areas, but as super and especially 14x12 brood can be heavy if full of bees/honey so cedar is better for them

i have one oak roof, that hive never moves an inch even in a gale

Latest posts

Back