Can I remove partially sealed super?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigger

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have this idea to remove a very heavy super from the top of my hive (mainly to save my back) and then to extract the honey straightaway.

Obviously I'd first put on a clearer board for a day before the removal.

My question is whether this would be ok or would there be any problems e.g. honey dripping.

Thank you.

Depends what you intend to do with the honey. If for sale there are legal requirements.
do you have a refractometer? As long as water content is less than 20 it is OK. I prefer it to be even less. A " shake test" gives a good indication of readiness but is approximate.
A super that is about half capped is usually ok

Do you have a refractometer? As long as water content is less than 20 it is OK. I prefer it to be even less. A " shake test" gives a good indication of readiness but is approximate.
Apparently borage honey can exceed 20% by a little ?

Depends what you intend to do with the honey. If for sale there are legal requirements.
do you have a refractometer? As long as water content is less than 20 it is OK. I prefer it to be even less. A " shake test" gives a good indication of readiness but is approximate.
A super that is about half capped is usually ok
Thanks. I forgot about this point.

A refractometer is worth its weight in gold and cheap off ebay

Because the water content may be too high and it will ferment. It needs testing but the obvious thing is to wait until it is capped then you are 90% safe!

Latest posts

Back