Can I remove an empty super from the hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Before going on holiday for two weeks I put two empty supers on my busy hive to make sure they had space. On return, I found one about half full of honey with a lot of capped cells. The top super seems to have no honey but some wax cells made by the bees. There are now fewer bees than a month ago, too. Can I remove the top super to force the bees to fill the other one with honey and not have two partially filled supers? As always, thanks!

Before going on holiday for two weeks I put two empty supers on my busy hive to make sure they had space. On return, I found one about half full of honey with a lot of capped cells. The top super seems to have no honey but some wax cells made by the bees. There are now fewer bees than a month ago, too. Can I remove the top super to force the bees to fill the other one with honey and not have two partially filled supers? As always, thanks!

yes, should be no problem but always make sure bees have sleeping room

so you may need to add it back went you remove the capped box before returning the empties for cleaning

Absolutely no problem...

Ben P

No problem but keep an eye out and if they are close to filling the one super, take a few full frames out and replace with foundation to the sides.

Fewer bees? Significantly fewer? Have they swarmed while you were away?

Not significantly fewer, just not as much buzzing around the entrance and not full to overflowing.

Latest posts

Back