Can I introduce a queen while using apiguard?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Can I introduce a queen while using apiguard?

Went to treat a hive with apiguard it is queenless no eggs at all. I put the treatment on it anyway. They really are not happy now.

So is it possible to introduce a mated queen while it is being treated?

depends upon the strength of the hive. I might just be tempted to unite as it is now quite late. If the hive is very strong, then take at apiguard off and run in a queen. However if the apiguard treatment isn't complete I imagine that it could make the mites more resistant, so it would be best to do the former and unite.

just my humble opinion !

Veg, I would have thought you could introduce the queen, as her pheromones will be masked to a large degree by the Apiguard. However, I would ensure that she is not able to escape from the Butler or Worth cage for at least five days. This will give the bees a chance to accept her. Do this by covering the escape route with paper and then over the paper cover with tin foil, fastening both with an elastic band.. After five days, remove the tin foil and the bees can then chew through the paper to release her.

Also, remember to remove her attendant bees to stop a fight, which may kill the queen in the process!

Good luck.

The colony in question i split earlier. I took a nuc from it as it had some supercedure cells. Now the nuc has a newly mated queen laying. So I want to try to overwinter this nuc and introduce a queen to the original hive. Is it too late for the original hive to get back up to strength for the winter?
Just as i thought things were going well too. :svengo:

Are you 101% sure that the hive is Queenless ?
She could be taking a break from laying due to the time of year and now the Apiguard.

You no the rules Veg,test frame first..

Just getting jumpy due to it getting late in the season for them to sort themselves out :cheers2:

Thats very understandable Veg.

I have a virgin running around a hive that is on borrowed time..

Veg
If the colony is queenless and largely broodless I would treat them with icing sugar a coupe of times as this will knock most of the mites off.
Is it too late for the original hive to get back up to strength for the winter?
I've got three nucs waiting for a queen to show her presence, fortunately I've got a number of strong colonies which can spare a few frames of brood. You really need to add a frame of brood at this time of year to a nuc which has a newly laying queen.

Latest posts

Back