Can bees REALLY draw out wax on fondant??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, the insulation I use is equal to six hundred millimetres of glasswool (600mm) Easy cut, easy stored, flexible and waterproof.

Yes, but what is your insulation? You say it's equal to 600mm of glass wool (over half a meter?!), but what is it.

30 years old Swedish Nacka polystytene hives have 20 mm thick walls. They do splended in Finnish climate, as well as 40 mm.

Bear, are you sure that you insulation is 60 cm. Over half metre. Or is it 6 cm.

Glass wool is not waterproof.

He is saying it is equivalent to 600mm of glasswool insulation, not that it is actually 600mm of glasswool insulation.

He is saying it is equivalent to 600mm of glasswool insulation, not that it is actually 600mm of glasswool insulation.

I did not understand message that way.
What is the idea in the data then?
But I do not change my boxes.

Yes, but what is your insulation? You say it's equal to 600mm of glass wool (over half a meter?!), but what is it.

The only thing I can think of is aerogel; but I wonder why @Bear can't just tell us???

I can tell that I have no
- insulation problems
- no feeding problems
- no wax production problems

But I have a lot woopecker problems.

I use Kingspan and Celotex a lot ... yes you do have to leave a couple of millimetres around the edges if you want to be able to get it out of the super. What I've been doing is putting a second solid crownboard (just a thin ply one) above the super and under the roof - but I'm not sure that it's really necessary as you can really feel the heat of the colony underneath the Kingspan blocks.

Had some Celotex/Kingspan offcuts some years ago but can't find any these days. Don't want much, any size as can tape together - enough for the roofs in 4 - 5 hives. Any ideas welcome - local Builders merchant who is clumsy with his stock perhaps?

I use Kingspan and Celotex a lot ... yes you do have to leave a couple of millimetres around the edges if you want to be able to get it out of the super. What I've been doing is putting a second solid crownboard (just a thin ply one) above the super and under the roof - but I'm not sure that it's really necessary as you can really feel the heat of the colony underneath the Kingspan blocks.
I have punched a couple of small holes through the Kingspan and looped a long cable tie through it to act as a hand hold. I do this on either side of the square bit of Kingspan. This means I can make it a tight fit but pull it in and out easily.

I have punched a couple of small holes through the Kingspan and looped a long cable tie through it to act as a hand hold. I do this on either side of the square bit of Kingspan. This means I can make it a tight fit but pull it in and out easily.
Yes ... that's exactly what I did ... I added a thin wooden washer on the underside as I found that I managed to pull the cable tie through the celotex on a coupled of hives. Works a treat ...

Had some Celotex/Kingspan offcuts some years ago but can't find any these days. Don't want much, any size as can tape together - enough for the roofs in 4 - 5 hives. Any ideas welcome - local Builders merchant who is clumsy with his stock perhaps?
My local Wickes are really clumsy with some things ...I picked up some broken bags of cement for £1 each and I just missed an 8 x4 sheet of clear poly carbonate that had a corner broken off it ... it was on someone's trolley with a name on it ... bit miffed about that. You need to go in regularly and root about a bit ... might have a word with the sales staff there and leave your phone number.

I just keep a beady eye out for skips as I go on my daily walk. Found one with loads of Kingspan a couple of weeks ago. Usually needs a bit of a clean up, but the bees don't care. My find is all chopped up to make insulating follower boards now :)
I'm finding that during the pandemic there's a lot more home improvements going on = a lot more skips!

I just keep a beady eye out for skips as I go on my daily walk. Found one with loads of Kingspan a couple of weeks ago. Usually needs a bit of a clean up, but the bees don't care. My find is all chopped up to make insulating follower boards now :)
I'm finding that during the pandemic there's a lot more home improvements going on = a lot more skips!
Ta. Don't like walking about just for the sake of it as I get enough exercise chasing about to find things my wife (alzheimers) has hidden but will stop if I see a skip.

Latest posts

Back