Can Bee species really be so different?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got it? bucks are kept in bigger boxes and on bigger frames sooooo! They have more pollen and honey stored no need to forage, they can sit back consume and look on watching the black girls with a rye I told you so grin.
Could be. They have done the work while the going is good so no need to go out in the pouring rain.

May be not lazy but the workforce numbers/colony strength may have a baring on the quantity or quality of forage collected.

I've got it? bucks are kept in bigger boxes and on bigger frames sooooo! They have more pollen and honey stored no need to forage, they can sit back consume and look on watching the black girls with a rye I told you so grin.
Jep. They are waching TV when it is raining. They are different.

Today is absolutely chucking it down, again lots of activity ,I think I'm going to take a split from these dark bees providing they over winter well.

Perhaps a small black bee can carry less nectar than a large orange one?

Mellifera races are very similar size.

How much they carry honey, it depends pastures, how fast they get their belly full. Then they must fly to home, how long distance. Next, how long the nectar stay in flowers and flowers arr full. If foragers clean the nectar from flowers in couple of hours, the rest of day they get nothing.

When you have 10 hives in apiary, there are allways "lazy" hives and "busy" hives, even if they are daughters from the same hive.

My best hives are allways big, and mostly they are hybrids between Italian queen x Carniolan drones.

Last edited:
Mellifera races are very similar size.

How much they carry honey, it depends pastures, how fast they get their belly full. Then they must fly to home, how long distance. Next, how long the nectar stay in flowers and flowers arr full. If foragers clean the nectar from flowers in couple of hours, the rest of day they get nothing.

When you have 10 hives in apiary, there are allways "lazy" hives and "busy" hives, even if they are daughters from the same hive.

My best hives are allways big, and mostly they are hybrids between Italian queen x Carniolan drones.
I should have added a 😉 to my post
It was a joke.
There is a real divide between orange and black bees in some quarters on the forum.
I keep both.
I’m a hobby keeper.
A bee is a bee

Simpler answer . They’re from Devon!!

Today is absolutely chucking it down, again lots of activity ,I think I'm going to take a split from these dark bees providing they over winter well.
Well worth the effort IMO. Keep the hard working ones. Bees at the apiary today were all busy piling in with both Ivy and Balsam despite the wind and rain or the fact their stores are more than healthy.

I meant buckfast bees sorry not black ones like our hard working Cornish ones😂
I have some black ones from Westest Wales and some from heaven knows where. Tiny black bees. And some orange bees from Germany and Gloucestershire Just to clear things up.

Well worth the effort IMO. Keep the hard working ones. Bees at the apiary today were all busy piling in with both Ivy and Balsam despite the wind and rain or the fact their stores are more than healthy.
Watched some of mine bringing in ivy pollen today the wind has been blowing a hoola and cold on my ears, still feeding and some of the hives are humming.

Current scene at dark bee hive , still hitting the pollen hard !

Attachments

• 20211006_113257.mp4
    8.1 MB
My 2nd year I bought two NZ queens and we called them the teddy bears. When it was cool our black bees were working hard and the TB's were sitting at home. So the answer to the OP is yes.

Back