Can Apivar stop bees taking syrup?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natureboy44

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
First time I have used Apivar and noticed the bees are ignoring the syrup. Is this just likely to be temporary or will they ignore until Apivar is out? Only put one strip in there between the two frames of brood on a 6 frame nuc.

Also was wandering if it can affect the queen laying.

Are you using apivar or api life var....not the first time people have the api’s mixed up. Never had any issues with api var!. If your using a contact feeder there’s normally a residue in the grid so they find it easily enough, others you may need to trickle a little syrup down the cone so they can find It.

First time I have used Apivar and noticed the bees are ignoring the syrup. Is this just likely to be temporary or will they ignore until Apivar is out? Only put one strip in there between the two frames of brood on a 6 frame nuc.

I am using Apivar and they are drinking the syrup like crazy. I need to top them up again after a couple of days.

As far as I've seen there has been no effects on my queen's and there laying ability when using apivar or colonys taking syrup down and storing it.
As above dribble some down the seams. Are you using thymolated syrup?
Some colonys just don't read the hive weights you show them and ignore in favour of a flow even if the weather is pants.

3 colonies all with apivar on only one taking syrup. I have dribbled it down today as suggested in the two that haven't touched it yet will check tomorrow or day after to see if that helps. Thanks

Latest posts

Back