Can anyone identify this piece of equipment please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtsApart

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there, I am hoping to find someone who can tell me exactly what this piece of equipment is please..........I have been sorting through my uncles bee keeping equipment that he is selling and he has these but I have no idea how to list them...........many thanks in advance.

View attachment 974

View attachment 975

index.cfm

index.cfm

hate to be first, i'm guessing a pollen trap of some sort, happy to be wrong...perhaps another part missing ?

never seen anything quite like it but would have to also agree on some sort of pollen trap.

G3

Is it just one item?
Only at first I thought that maybe it was 2 Hive floors

It looks like two pollen traps. A picture of a bee on top of the mesh would help....

If two pollen traps, then they differ in the mesh sizes the lower being much larger ?

John Wilkinson

This is getting silly. It is two pollen traps, probably indentical, balanced on top of each other. They are used, one per hive, with the drawer pulled out as shown. The bees land on the draw or fly directly in and climb into the hive through the upper mesh, dropping most of their pollen as they do so. The drawer appears to have a reinforced fine mesh in the bottom of it. It is the reinforcing which makes it look like it has mesh of different sizes. I would guess this larger mesh is a seperate item and simply supports the finer mesh, the purpose of which is to allow air to circulate through the pollen so it doesn't go mouldy. I guess there must be some holes underneath each box or at the rear to allow the air to circulate. Possibly filled with more mesh to stop the bees climbing in.

I would list them simply as pollen traps. I assume for a National Hive. What are the outside dimensions of the boxes? Should be about 18" in which case it would do for a National or Commercial hive.

Last edited:
Hi everyone I think the mesh in the bottom tray is of the type used in plastic greenhouse shading.I tried using some of the same in a prototype varroa floor.Without success:(

Hi everyone I think the mesh in the bottom tray is of the type used in plastic greenhouse shading.I tried using some of the same in a prototype varroa floor.Without success:(

I have one similar to these, but have never used it. The lower mest is the same as greenhouse shading- I assume that it is to allow some airflow around the pollen that is in the tray.

hate to be first, i'm guessing a pollen trap of some sort, happy to be wrong...perhaps another part missing ?

As soon as I read your reply I knew you were right that has rung a huge bell in my head so thank you so much for that. :)

This is getting silly. It is two pollen traps, probably indentical, balanced on top of each other. They are used, one per hive, with the drawer pulled out as shown. The bees land on the draw or fly directly in and climb into the hive through the upper mesh, dropping most of their pollen as they do so. The drawer appears to have a reinforced fine mesh in the bottom of it. It is the reinforcing which makes it look like it has mesh of different sizes. I would guess this larger mesh is a seperate item and simply supports the finer mesh, the purpose of which is to allow air to circulate through the pollen so it doesn't go mouldy. I guess there must be some holes underneath each box or at the rear to allow the air to circulate. Possibly filled with more mesh to stop the bees climbing in.

I would list them simply as pollen traps. I assume for a National Hive. What are the outside dimensions of the boxes? Should be about 18" in which case it would do for a National or Commercial hive.

Thanks for that, its nice to know how they are working and I think they are for the national now you mention it ....that has also rung a bell with me, thanks so much for your help. :)

I would just like to thank everyone for your help on this, its very much appreciated. :cheers2:

Latest posts

Back