Can anybody help in or near Dartford?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
JBM has had a private message from a new beekeeper
@dorstrgr2

Hi all expert beekeepers

Feeling gutted with myself. Have never stopped my good queens from swarming (mea culpa)
Then bees have dwindled, got a good swarm gifted last summer, they seemed settled, extracted nothing
queen seemed fine, but two weeks ago on inspecton no live bees, no activity.
Second year running, the 2 hives I have were on a shed roof, sheltered by conifers in next door garden and with plenty of forage.
The weaker colony got wax moth although someone local put the frame in the freezer for me, my surviving colony is now dead.
Is this my carelessness or what?
Would anyone near SE London/Dartford help out?
P

Probably best on the open forum

I am a new beekeeper, last year I attended the excellent beginners course at Sidcup / Ruxley Beekeepers Association; they were really welcoming, very informative, and generally brilliant. Ruxley Beekeepers – Bees, Honey, Tea & Cakes It was a mixture of Zoom (remember that?) and practical sessions.
Google maps says that you are only about 6 miles away. I'm sure other associations are available too...
I would suggest that you look on their website, get in touch, and seriously consider joining. .
I am based in Suffolk, and have had brilliant support from my local association, building on the foundation of that beginners course.
Starting with bees is hard, whatever your previous background and experience, local associations really can help with the steepness of the learning curve, and much more, including friendship and cake!

John

Thanks for your responses. Actually I am the better half of D, he is far too backward to come forward and engage. I have tried to get him to post himself without success so far. Maybe one reason the bees either left, died or whatever happened.
It is me who cares passionately about bees and all beneficial aspects of nature. I am a rather mature, past 70 yrs, horticulturalist, conservationist and habitat creator. We are separated. He had the hives in his garden where I made the garden with early to late forage available. So apologies but being untechnical and unscientific, with little physical strength, do not even know how to connect properly through this excellent forum. BTW just saying, some of you sound a bit intimidating with the breadth of knowledge and experience, but I have never shrunk from admitting I need idiot proof instructions generally. Will make another attempt to get him to post for himself today. WBW

Thanks for your responses. Actually I am the better half of D, he is far too backward to come forward and engage. I have tried to get him to post himself without success so far. Maybe one reason the bees either left, died or whatever happened.
It is me who cares passionately about bees and all beneficial aspects of nature. I am a rather mature, past 70 yrs, horticulturalist, conservationist and habitat creator. We are separated. He had the hives in his garden where I made the garden with early to late forage available. So apologies but being untechnical and unscientific, with little physical strength, do not even know how to connect properly through this excellent forum. BTW just saying, some of you sound a bit intimidating with the breadth of knowledge and experience, but I have never shrunk from admitting I need idiot proof instructions generally. Will make another attempt to get him to post for himself today. WBW
Don't feel intimidated... we have lots of new beekeepers on here and a lot of old ones with and without knowledge of bees .. this is the beginners section and all who respond are under a remit to play nicely... we were all beginners once and even after many years some i
of us consider ourselves still beginners in some respects. Do post your questions it's a busy well populated forum and someone (usually a few) will give you an answer or six .. where you go after that ... well, welcome ro rhe uncertain world of beekeeping where little goes to plan and what does rarely continues in that vein ! Welcome anyway....

Thank you super moderator for your understanding and kind words. He is standing here mulishly not posting to you. He says all he wants is a swarm but still has not cleaned out and cleaned up the hives. You may be able to tell he is extremely frustrating and irritating, but then it does take all sorts....

Thank you, have sent a message just now.

Latest posts

Back