Can any one recommend a horizontal hive book pls.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Hi I'm looking for a good book on horizontal hives and hive manipulations pls.

This is for some one I'm mentoring, and will be a Xmas present.
He is only 13 years old.
Bless him.
Thanks in advance.

Mark

Hi I'm looking for a good book on horizontal hives and hive manipulations pls.

This is for some one I'm mentoring, and will be a Xmas present.
He is only 13 years old.
Bless him.
Thanks in advance.

Mark
Hi Mark, I have two horizontal hives, one Top Bar Hive and the other a Long Hive, I would recommend a book written by Phil Chandler, Managing the Topbar Hive, it's one of the balanced beekeeping books by him. And also Balanced beekeeping.

Hi Mark, I have two horizontal hives, one Top Bar Hive and the other a Long Hive, I would recommend a book written by Phil Chandler, Managing the Topbar Hive, it's one of the balanced beekeeping books by him. And also Balanced beekeeping.
Thanks dave I ended up getting the Haynes manual but it could be a Xmas present for this year, I'll have a look see cheers.
Mark

Curly, check out Wyatt Mangums website too. He's a very clear writer with experience of making money from topbar hive beekeeping

The management of a horizontal hive with frames (of whatever size) is not so dissimilar to running a TBH so stuff by Phil Chandler should be appropriate. There is a lot of stuff on the internet from america of course. Biologist Georges de Layens' book 'Keeping Bees in Horizontal Hives' has been translated, but it was originally written in 1897. It is full of all sorts of interesting anecdotes and does talk about the management system he devised. You can get an idea about it from here.

Latest posts

Back