Can altitude affect varroa.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Hi, over the few years I have been a beekeeper, Ive had numerous discussions about altitude effecting varroa.
I have no real evidence for this as yet but have found this link.
Your thoughts pls, and maybe if you have any evidence via studies done, I would be glad to receive them.
Varroa and the environment

Given that Europe has a large number of high altitude areas and Varroa has spread throughout those when introduced. If there is an effect is it worth worrying about?

Given that Europe has a large number of high altitude areas and Varroa has spread throughout those when introduced. If there is an effect is it worth worrying about?
Maybe maybe not.. But if it does effect the way they live in a colony then yes.
It's something to think about.
If altitude has a contributing factor to varroa numbers being less in colonys then there has got to be some reason which I would like to talk about.
The environment at altitude is different as you know temps, wind speed pressure weather patterns.. I find it interesting and it has been discussed by more than one hill Billy beek I've spoken to.

Menu of ITA Websites are 129 on the list with a good number of better beekeeping countries in front😉
Cheers I'll have a look later...
Loft looking!! as SWMBO wants me to crack on with a few things before spring.. New kitchen, decorating, new floors... Ow they are a pain.

Hi, over the few years I have been a beekeeper, Ive had numerous discussions about altitude effecting varroa.
I have no real evidence for this as yet but have found this link.
Your thoughts pls, and maybe if you have any evidence via studies done, I would be glad to receive them.
Varroa and the environment
Hi, I keep 2 colonies at home at 1000ft, they get much less varroa than my colonies in the valley, which I put down to being in a more remote location with less beekeepers around. However it’s marginal for beekeeping, due to shorter season, less forage and weather. At best get a heather crop and not always. Keep here for interest, pollination and to learn about different environments.

This extract from the paper you cited sort of says it all I think.
"The brood rearing in honey bee colonies depends on sources of pollen and nectar in the environment, and food source availability is directly influenced by climatic conditions. This is important to the varroa infestation levels (Medina-Flores et al. 2014) because the mite needs the honey bee brood to reproduce (Rosenkranz et al. 2010).Therefore, this study showed that in Neotropical areas........................"
If the total environment favours mites and their reproduction your'e going to get a lot of them.

@elainemary most of our colonys are at altitude over 1400ft but we still get spring honey, summer, late summer honey and heather weather permitting. This last season our garden apiary(1550ft) (after farmers not cutting hedges in October) produced just over 40lbs of ivy from two strong colonys .
This last season spring wise was an exceptional spring no late frosts and blossom stayed, weather was perfect for spring honey.
We even had apples for the first time.. In the garden in 9 years
Wild crab apples were pulling the branches over..

the density of colonys up here has gone up because we have increased year after year..

Maybe after another 5 years of collecting data we will have better results I think then @Murox I have my answer.

Imo its also to do with colony density.

Varroa levels.. The more colonys in an area the higher the varroa levels.

I've recently spoken to some one who is very isolated or has lived in very osolated areas and he has said wild colonys that were up in the mountains had no varroa.. Migratory beeks bought colonys and varroa in that area.. varroa went up.

As to honey crops they will obviously vary because of density of numbers.

You could model Covid-19 on the spread of varroa except immunity of the bees to Varroa hasn’t happened yet !
denser the population of man and bee colonies increases the spread .

@elainemary most of our colonys are at altitude over 1400ft but we still get spring honey, summer, late summer honey and heather weather permitting. This last season our garden apiary(1550ft) (after farmers not cutting hedges in October) produced just over 40lbs of ivy from two strong colonys .
This last season spring wise was an exceptional spring no late frosts and blossom stayed, weather was perfect for spring honey.
We even had apples for the first time.. In the garden in 9 years
Wild crab apples were pulling the branches over..

the density of colonys up here has gone up because we have increased year after year..

Maybe after another 5 years of collecting data we will have better results I think then @Murox I have my answer.

Imo its also to do with colony density.
We’re a lot further north than you & surrounded by sheep and Angus farmers so lots of grass! Dry stone walls rather than hedges. My bees up here start foraging much later as min 2 degrees cooler than the valley. Try to do as much as possible re wildflower meadows, trees, hedges and garden. Just persuaded the parish council to buy 500 flowering hedge and tree plants, which local kids will be planting when it warms up to teach them about the environment. Still like having the bees here despite the challenges, but keep numbers of colonies v low or would be feeding all the time.

Varroa levels.. The more colonys in an area the higher the varroa levels.

I've recently spoken to some one who is very isolated or has lived in very osolated areas and he has said wild colonys that were up in the mountains had no varroa.. Migratory beeks bought colonys and varroa in that area.. varroa went up.

As to honey crops they will obviously vary because of density of numbers.

Hmmm ... not sure you can apply this, albeit logical, view as a global situation - I have over 260 beekeeepers within 5k of my home apiary ... multiply that by an average of, let's say for argument sake, 3 colonies each (it's probably more I'm being conservative) that's over 700 registered colonies within my bee foraging area ... but I have very low levels of varroa.

Migratory beekeepers could introduce varroa ridden stock into an area but I would have thought that beekeepers who practice migratory beekeeping (apart from those who take hives to the heather) are in the minority and frankly, if you are taking colonies to the heather you need strong healthy colonies and that does not tally with colonies that are heavily infected with varroa.

Your hypothesis that altitude affects the varroa levels ... well - it could - but from my experience there are so many factors that contribute to varroa's ability to survive and thrive (or not as the case may be) that you would be hard pressed to prove anything conclusively.

Hi, I keep 2 colonies at home at 1000ft, they get much less varroa than my colonies in the valley, so we have proven precisely nothing
And yet I have vice versa with the colonies at a higher altitude seeming to have a higher varoa load
Hmmm ... not sure you can apply this, albeit logical, view as a global situation ........

Your hypothesis that altitude affects the varroa levels ... well - it could - but from my experience there are so many factors that contribute to varroa's ability to survive and thrive (or not as the case may be) that you would be hard pressed to prove anything conclusively.
:iagree:

Hmmm ... not sure you can apply this, albeit logical, view as a global situation - I have over 260 beekeeepers within 5k of my home apiary ... multiply that by an average of, let's say for argument sake, 3 colonies each (it's probably more I'm being conservative) that's over 700 registered colonies within my bee foraging area ... but I have very low levels of varroa.

Migratory beekeepers could introduce varroa ridden stock into an area but I would have thought that beekeepers who practice migratory beekeeping (apart from those who take hives to the heather) are in the minority and frankly, if you are taking colonies to the heather you need strong healthy colonies and that does not tally with colonies that are heavily infected with varroa.

Talking of migratory beeks a recent Webinar I watched was very interesting to hear what professor Evans said about it.. Zoom video

Even strong colonys can be riddled with varroa.. Its all down to ipm and treatments.. That's not to say though that you move some hives into an area with really high varroa and it works the other way.
Varroa bombs etc..

Last edited:
And yet I have vice versa with the colonies at a higher altitude seeming to have a higher varoa load

:iagree:
As has been said in the link from the first post and what we have discussed..
There is so many variables to consider.
Different apiarys in different parts of the country with such environmental differences the conclusion isnt ever going to be justified as a yes or no imo

[QUOTE="Curly green finger's, post: 742723, member: 18818"

Even strong colonys can be riddled with varroa.. Its all down to ipm and treatments.. That's not to say though that you move some hives into an area with really high varroa and it works the other way.
Varroa bombs etc..
[/QUOTE]
Yes they can but my point was that it is fairly inconceivable that a beekeeper engaged in migratory practices (in order to either provide pollination services or maximise their honey crop) would entertain keeping colonies riddled with varroa ... the two things don't sit well together.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back