can a queen lose her mark

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapperman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national 3 tbh
Hi guys just a quick question, i got my nuc may 30th and they have been doing o.k, i have been doing weekly inspections since i got them and have had the odd QC/playcup with jelly in but no larve and have always squashed them down.
my last inspection was 21st july and i saw queen, eggs, larve and capped brood and no QC/play cups.
i have missed a few extra days due to work and the weather, and did an inspection today so an 11 day gap.
today i saw queen, eggs, larve and capped brood and no QC/play cups, the thing is the queen was marked and today she was`nt so can the mark rub off as it does`nt look like i`ve lost any bees and i would assume that if it was a new queen then i would`nt have seen eggs today
her thorax looks polished not hairy would a new queen be more hairy?

Yes, they could quietly be superceding her, but would have meant you missing something. Is there any possibility of two queens being present?

Regards, RAB

Yes, they could quietly be superceding her, but would have meant you missing something. Is there any possibility of two queens being present?

Regards, RAB

two Queens ?, i will have a good look on next inspection, if they want to superced her should i let it happen at this time of year or should i still squash any cups down?.

If there are two queens present it may be almost 'fait acomplis'.

With regards supercedure - the bees know best, in nearly all situations.

Ignore at your peril.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back